Engine & gearbox id

Can someone pls tell me what & where I need to be looking for to ascertain that the engine block and gearbox casing is period correct on my car. I have several spare race engines fia 289 Boss 302 etc but I can't seem to find a bloody casting number on this one!
Thanks Sim.

Nothing on it at all? Very strange.

There are quite a few websites that cover this in depth, usually Mustang related but all very informative.

Regards,

Graham.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
what is your car? GT40? Mustang?
engine casting number is on the side next to the sump...
blockcastingnumber.jpg

if its a GT40 then you have a ZF gearbox??? the gearbox number is stamped on the main trans-axle body this one is a ZF-0 number 135 part of a batch that went to the USA with some Mk 1 road cars.
zf-0small03.jpg

We like pictures!!!!!!!

Andy

Thanks gents, I have some old mustang books floating about. I think the block number has to be hereabouts, my eyesight is so poor these days.
Sim.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Sim

This is how I see it.
I would be be looking for the following engine block casting numbers.

C6FE-6015-B 289 installed on earlier GT40s similar to a beefed up HiPo 289

0-XF-136505 which is a 289 used in late 1966 GT40 through to the end of the JWA campaign using Copper seals. Later bored out to 305.

fullsizeoutput_e9f.jpeg

C8FE-6015-B - not strictly GT40 however a late 1968 302 block used in TransAms and some early 1969 Boss engines. (same4-bolt mains casting as the 0-XF above)

fullsizeoutput_e9e.jpeg

Later race transmissions from 1966 onward came from a batch of thirty uprated ZF-1 with stronger casings than the previous ZF-0s.

Cars used for racing in the UK had hard stamps applied by the RAC on the machined block register.
Privateer engine builders also had their own hard stamps indicating works order number on the blocks.
(my block has these stampings from Mathwall Engineering and I have a copy of the corresponding order build sheet)

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
I don't know what's up with me today, please read 0 XE
One of our 4-bolt 289 engines cast 10th November, 1966.
The screw freeze plugs were added by me for racing.

IMG_0684.JPG

Back