Engine Needed for New Superformance GT40 MkI

Hello All,

Well... I'm now the proud owner of a new Superformance Gulf GT40 Mark-I. I also purchased a fresh ZF transmission for it. The next big item I need to buy is a engine... and that's where I need your help.

What I'm looking for is a (reasonably priced) crate motor with about 450-500hp with either 48mm Webers or a Holley carb. If I buy a crate motor, what modification would I need to make it fit... or (better yet) can a pay a reasonable price engine ready to drop in? I also would like a warranty.

I would appreciate any help in pointing me in the right direction.

~ Randy
GT40 P/2207

Ron Earp

Admin
There are two great builders who sponsor the forum - Keith Craft and World Products. I'd certainly talk to either of those companies about a SB Ford.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Keith Craft, he's been building for years and does a good job from everyone I have talked to. I would keep it down around 400 if I had to do it over again, just call me chicken, tire spin at 60 is like getting an electric shock, it will wake you up.

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Congrats Randy on your new SP.

Agree with Jack, anything over 400hp is overkill in this car, not to mention overloading the transaxle.

You may have a different perspective, because most cars don't weigh under 2400 lbs, so to go really fast you need more than 400.

But most GT40 kits are under 2400, . some are even under 2300. It's power to weight ratio that's the more important number.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
The best advice I've gotten on this forum is to "....go with an SBF in the 350 to 400 horsepower range and use the money you saved to buy big brakes. They'll never catch you!".

Doug

Thanks Tim, but 600HP! WOW... I want to live a few more years ;) To everyone else, thanks for your replies.

So, how much is a ready to drop-in (450HP) (new) engine with 48mm Weber carbs? Remember, I'm bolting it up to a ZF tranny.

~ Randy.

to be honest, My CAV came with a 375 hp motor, and then I got the SPF with the 427 roush and 550hp. I am now putting in a 475hp motor in the CAV. It is hard to go back once you have driven the big engine cars. I would not put less than 450hp in your car

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Randy,

In SPF P2125 MK11 (see pics in SPF forum) I have a Keith Craft 482 Shelby FE through a RBT ZF MI with engine dyno'd at 600TQ @ 4400 and 550HP @ 5500 running on Avon's. After 3,000 miles have no problems (starts easy,tractable even at 20 mph,docile in traffic and 75mph at 2500). I spec'd the engine to have lots of cubes but with a docil cam and find it much better than the high strung Windsor 408 making 500HP with a wilder cam that I had in the Cobra.
Best advice is to find a good builder that will listen to what you want and be able to build it to meet your needs.

Steve

Last edited:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Steve, I see by your post you have a 3:77 diff, I have the M1 but 4:22 which is most common, I might have a different opinion if I was running that ratio and tires you have but still insist that 600 HP is too much. I told my engine builder to put a mild cam to make it drivable which he did not. I have over 3k miles on my car now but will tell you its not fun when your on the edge of your seat all the time and really don't know what going to happen when you throttle out of a corner on our country roads. I need better tires for sure but have made my mind up to put a stock cam in my dart block 427 the next time it comes out. I have just herd of someone putting a 1000HP Keith Craft turboed ford V8 in a SPF. Its nuts if your going to drive the car, if for show who cares.

Make some calls and talk to these guys. They will build you what ever you want. Keith is a great guy. He supports out events and he is a driver. Call him and just get a gut feel for the type of guy he is. Also, The guy that does all my engine work is fantastic. His name is Lumpy. I like him because he has an opinion. Many of these guys will just build what you want but what I want might not be the best thing for my application. I want someone who will tell me if I am going the right direction. Lumpy's number is 618 664 4767. If you call be sure to tell him how you learned about his shop. Just check the Kitcar mag article about my engine build. (about 18 months ago) That was his project.

Calls are free, call them all and see who you click with.

Keith

There is a rather large thread on this forum I believe in the Consumer Watch or maybe the engine section, devoted to T&L. Just do a search and it will reveal plenty..

I don't personally believe another thread is necessary on this subject as it's likely to duplicate information already in this particular public domain...

There are also plenty of opinions about T&L products on other car forums.

Seek, and ye shall find... :)

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
My motor was built by them (T and L), I think they did an excellent job at putting it together, I have about 3300 miles on it now most of them hwy but a few of them a good test of the engine build. I have not had one single problem BUT they are not timely in production, 8 weeks turned into 5 months. I have heard that people have gotten there engines on time then others who have waited almost a year (not a ford engine). I ordered my 427 with webers which was the hold up on my motor, after receiving the engine I had put it in the car and the rear deck lid would have to be cut to fit the carbs in the area where they were to go. This is a problem when you have a 351W block using a 302 weber manifold with spacers. I don't think it to be a problem with a 302W block. My engine dyno'ed at 576 HP with the webers, now I have TWM throttle body injection which I am sure added a few phonies. To do it over again I would have went with the 302 aluminum block with TWM throttle body injection. Keith Craft is good and builds the motor at the time frame he states from what I have been told. Dean seems to know a good engine builder, I have seen him on the tract and his car is no bitch and looked great from my standpoint. There are many choices out there, God Bless we live in the USA where this stuff is everywhere.

Is there any other engine builders you SPF MkI owners would strongly recommend? So far, I have Keith Kraft and Roush.

Thanks.
Randy

Last edited:
I am a repeat Keith Craft customer - 6 so far. The first one came in a car I bought and I was impressed. The other 5 we bought for customers and I could not be happier with Keith' service and better yet the performance of his motors. Many people buy crate motors by some Horsepower numbers and of course they feel bigger is better but nobody thinks of driveability. All Keith motors felt stronger than advertised and put a smile on my customer's faces. Can't ask for more.
You can use me as a reference when you call Keith.
Mike Wegener

Ron Earp

Admin
My advice would be to stay away from T&L. Just about every Ford performance forum on the internet has a thread about people being dissatisfied with T&L. KK would be my choice.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll give them a call.

Mike, I like your bike! I just sold my 1969 Triumph bobber and I miss it already. Attached is a photo.

~ Randy.

Attachments

• T1.jpg
    T1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 225
Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll give them a call.

Mike, I like your bike! I just sold my 1969 Triumph bobber and I miss it already. Attached is a photo.

~ Randy.

Well, Thank You Randy
The bike is a '68 Bonneville that was built into a chopper in late 1967 by Long Beach's B&O Cycle who were the Jesse James of their day.
Updated with long forks and a King & Queen seat it made the cover of Big Bike Magazine in Dec. 1971. That picture is shown in my avatar.
It still has its original paint & chrome but I put it back to its '68 looks with a short XA Springer front end and Flanders bars.
No wonder you miss that Triumph of yours. It is a beauty.
Cars are cool but Custom Cycles is where its at.
Ride Safe
Mike

P.S.Sorry about the thread drift :)

Attachments

• Miss Kitty small jpeg..jpg
    Miss Kitty small jpeg..jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 222
Back