Engine

Gents any recommendations where to get an sgt flywheel and clutch balanced machined for 28oz .302 ford .
Engine is a crate lbc .302.
Cheers shaun

Shaun

Supporter
I had mine done by the engine builders as I am of the understanding the whole lot needs balancing as a unit which would be a bugger to ship!! Where are you located?

Mike Pass

Supporter
The correct way is to have the entire bottom end balanced as a whole. This will mean stripping the engine so the rotating assembly can be put on the balancer. there are engine builders who can do this for you - depends where you are for the nearest one.
However you can get fairly close by having a flywheel match balanced by an engine shop to known 28oz flywheel. . The 28 oz balance actually means it is out of balance by 28.2 ounce inches. This means that it is out of balance by a factor equivalent to placing a 28ounce weight at 1" from the centre - or 2.8 ounce weight at 10" from the centre. That is - the weight times the distance from the centre is what matters. A small weight a long way from the centre has the same effect as a large weight near the centre.
The later cranks were lighter and so needed 50oz balance to balance them.
There are two ways to make a 28oz balance flywheel from a neutral balance one. Either remove weight from the opposite side or attach weights by bolting (see pic) or welding a weight onto the flywheel. I have attached a pic of a steel neutral balance flywheel that I had match balanced a few years ago - a lot of holes! Some aftermarket flywheel sellers also sell the bolt on weights but they need to be accurately indexed and at the correct distance from the centre.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 16.48.26.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 16.48.26.png
    430 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3648.jpg
    IMG_3648.jpg
    516.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

Mike Pass

Supporter
There are 121 and 157 tooth flywheels. As far as I know the SGT uses a 121 tooth flywheel (as per GTD) rather than the standard size 157 tooth Ford flywheel which I believe is used by Tornado. The 121 tooth flywheel will fit inside the Renault bellhousing allowing the use of an adaptor plate rather than a cpmplete bellhousing change.
Cheers
Mike

Cheers Mike.i have a crate lbc 302 as new .complete with 28oz damper new in the box.the lbc came assembled the flywheel.
I'm using a chris cole flywheel .the a p clutch recommended by mick sollis .now the new harmonic damper is 28 oz.question does the brand new rebuilt engine have to be re stripped as it has already been assembled and re balanced or could I get my clutch and flywheel balanced and fitted as read up.it can be done both ways..
Cheers shaun

Mike Pass

Supporter
When it is back together get them to set it up on the dyno, especially if it has a flat tappet cam that will need break in time. It will then be ready to go when you get it in the car. Dyno time set up is the best money you can spend.
Cheers
Mike

I'll just leave this here..

enginelabs.com/engine-tech/engine/external-balance-curious-case-of-counterweight-confusion/

I'll just leave this here..

enginelabs.com/engine-tech/engine/external-balance-curious-case-of-counterweight-confusion/
Sorry folks, I thought I had deleted this... its an article that showed how the imbalance is divided between Damper & Flywheel. EG the 50 oz factor has 34 oz in the damper & 16 oz in the flywheel. The above link does not work, my fault.

Cheers guys for all advice .its trial fitted in bay so being removed this morning.ready to go to engine builder on Monday.trial fitted the adapter for box .this morning .

Attachments

• IMG-20230106-WA0007.jpeg
    IMG-20230106-WA0007.jpeg
    373.3 KB · Views: 99
So adapter bolted up all OK.i have a total 6 bolts bolting the plate to the engine.and then what I can see is 4 bolts for the gear box to the plate.correct?

Back