ERA #2028 for sale **SOLD**

J.C.

GT40s Supporter
Folks, time has come for me to sell my ERA.

#2028 is a relatively early ERA GT40, so mild steel tub while the later ones were stainless. Built in the early 1990's here in Pittsburgh by an enthusiast who has owned a number of original Cobras and a GT40, it was purchased soon after that by a gentleman racer and friend of the builder. He first registered it in 1994, and owned it until I purchased it in 2014 when it had been sitting idle in climate controlled storage for a number of years. Since then, I've been through the whole car and have tracked it a number of times, leading to a number of changes to get it to be safe, reliable, and fast.

Body - the car has ERA's "#1075" flares allowing wide rear wheels. All plexi attached with nylon screws. While very presentable, the car is not Concours - it has the expected patina of a well maintained vintage car that has been used at speed. The car is titled in PA as a 1966 Ford, VIN GTP2028.

Interior - no carpets installed (I have them though), set up pretty much for track use including rollcage, battery cutoff, new Simpson camlock harnesses. A/C and heater installed and functioning, e-brake works too to be street legal. Gold foil in the bulkhead panel to try and manage the heat soak from the motor, as the really effective heater is the lump behind driver's right shoulder.

Engine - 322ci windsor, custom built starting from a 4-bolt Dart iron block. Not a stroker, this is a 3" stroke like a 302 but has a big bore (4.135") to let it rev. 10.7:1 compression ratio so 93 octane pump gas works. Internally balanced with forged internals, solid roller custom cam, AFR heads, Holley DP, all the good stuff. 524hp and 441lb/ft with rev limiter in the MSD box set at 7,200rpm, it makes 400+lb/ft from 3,900 all the way to 6,800rpm. This is the second iteration of the motor - first built in 2016 dropped a valve and holed a piston at a track day due to broken inner valvespring, so motor came back out, completely rebuilt with 010" overbore to clean up the cylinders, new heads, and upgraded springs. Current build has about four hours or time on it, including dyno. Supertrapps on it right now, ceramic coated straight pipes included as well if hearing preservation is a low priority. Upgrades to all the ancillary systems too - custom Ron Davis radiator with dual fans and shrouds (I still have the ERA copper/brass one too) so it stays cool in traffic with the A/C on, which is easier said than done. Oil cooler with a thermostatically controlled fanpack as well.

Transaxle - rod shift ZF 5 DS25/2, with external slave cylinder, ERA bellhousing and MSD starter. Ford billet steel flywheel to keep it relatively streetable, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch.

Brakes - new 3/4" master cylinders with residual pressure values to keep a good pedal, the fronts have been upgraded to six piston Wilwoods with larger 1.25" thick rotors on custom hats. The ERA-supplied C4 floating calipers are adequate for street use, but despite my efforts I could not make them survive on a road course - hence the upgrades. Rears are the C4 calipers with ERA uprights, unitized bearings, etc.

Wheels & tires - two sets of pindrive knockoffs and Avon CR6-ZZ's which are DOT legal but make great track tires once up to temp. 15"x 8" fronts with 205/60-15 tires, 15"x 12" rears with 295/50-15's. The black wheels in the attached photos were custom made by Vintage Wheels in CA, second set (shown in on-track photo below) are original BRM's. I like having a spare set, and tracking a car with 50+ year old wheels made me twitch.

I have a lot more documentation, photos, video, details/etc. that I would be happy to share. Asking $115k, and I'm going to spend the next week or so getting organized to put it up on Bring A Trailer with a reasonable reserve. That said, we know that the people on this forum are the right owners of these special cars. I'm lucky to be a part of this particular car's history, the next owner will be too.

Attachments

• .1.jpg
    .1.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 1,214
  • 100_1680.JPG
    100_1680.JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 1,209
  • 100_1660.JPG
    100_1660.JPG
    287.6 KB · Views: 1,081
  • 100_1686.5.JPG
    100_1686.5.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 1,076
  • 100_1690.5.JPG
    100_1690.5.JPG
    309.8 KB · Views: 1,255
  • 100_1691.JPG
    100_1691.JPG
    377.5 KB · Views: 1,272
  • 100_1697.JPG
    100_1697.JPG
    320.1 KB · Views: 1,088
  • 100_1701.JPG
    100_1701.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,119
  • 100_1665.JPG
    100_1665.JPG
    382.7 KB · Views: 1,107
  • Autointerests2.jpg
    Autointerests2.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 1,132

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Very nice car. Good luck getting Bring-a-trailer to allow you a reasonable reserve. GLWS!

J.C.

GT40s Supporter
Thanks gentlemen. I think it is priced to reality, not the sum of what I have in it..

NickF

Lifetime Supporter
... got me thinking about it.
Mike you already have a ERA......... I just bought a CAV and I am in WI. Would love to check out your car. I am hoping maybe J.C. will take my cobra as a partial trade??? I remember a few Scardinas in Milwaukee.

N. Faccidomo

J.C.

GT40s Supporter
Thanks guys. While I'm sure the Cobra is wonderful, I'm not interested in trades right now. Other non-car related stuff on my horizon, at least for a while.

J.C.

GT40s Supporter
Thanks guys. While I'm sure the Cobra is wonderful, I'm not interested in trades right now. Other non-car related stuff on my horizon, at least for a while.

Mike you already have a ERA......... I just bought a CAV and I am in WI. Would love to check out your car. I am hoping maybe J.C. will take my cobra as a partial trade??? I remember a few Scardinas in Milwaukee.

N. Faccidomo
I'm home a lot caring for my elderly Mom, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem to show my car. I just can't offer a LOT of time.

J.C.

GT40s Supporter
Back up for sale folks, post-BaT transaction did not close. Happy to discuss if anyone would like to.

Back