ERA Stops GT40 Replica Production - No New Orders Taken

Lets hope it's just to get caught up with back orders. It would be pretty sad to see one of the best built GT40's, made in the USA, cease production. I hope I'm wrong, but it might just be to expensive to maintain the quality that ERA is renowned for, and be competitive in this down economy and compete with cars manufactured out of this country. Either way, ERA builds a beautiful car, wether its a GT40 or Cobra. I wish them the best.
Era Replica Automobiles' ERA GT, a Ford GT Replica in kit or turn-key

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Re: No more new orders being taken for the ERA GT40

I agree, sad day, indeed!

We have at least one member who drives an ERA, my fave b/c he has a Cleveland in it...other than that we have no full build threads and not much traffic in ERA discussion.

For a GT40 "Kit", it would have been the one I would have wanted, just not sure that the price point would have been right. There is another from England that is almost as complete, but ERA has such a great reputation for their product line that I hate to see a U.S. maker get out of the market (not that other US GT40 replica manufacturers don't have great reputations....not implied at all!!).

I agree with others...looks like the price for used ERA's will be going up :cry:

Doug

It looks like maybe you just can not order an MKI right now? I think Cobras, MKII and MKII spyders are still available?

Good point, it does look like that on the website, now that I took another look.
Maybe the 427 car is in higher demand?

Good point, it does look like that on the website, now that I took another look.
Maybe the 427 car is in higher demand?

ERA just responded to another thread and cleared up the confusion. Its not just the MK I, it applies to all models of the GT

Ron Earp

Admin

For clarification, ERA isn't producing the GT40 replica any longer?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

When they began building their GT40s, they were the only game in town in the USA. I am fairly sure they were first, at least over here. Now they have a great deal of competition- RCR, Superformance, and all the rest. ERAs are well-made, but the others are also, and I think their sales volume has diminished over time. (this is a guess on my part)

It also took a long time to get an ERA- there was always a long back order time as they did not stock kits. Years ago when I asked for information on one, I was quoted a wait time of a year to get the kit and only then start building it. I think the wait is far shorter to get any of the others, which means they must have had far less orders. Possibly no orders?

Ron Earp

Admin

That's a shame to see them quit building the GT replica. I hope their business is doing well otherwise though as ERA is iconic in the replica car market.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

I am not speaking for ERA in any manner, but I did speak to Peter P. at the Carlilse Kit Show and he indicated that the time to do a GT slowed down the rest of the product line. I would assume they can generate more income putting the other products out the door.

Last edited:

It is sad. This past summer I had a chance to see my car at the Glen at the SAAC convention after more than two years in storage. It is a works of art the detail and the effort that was put into it by ERA. The GT is very time consuming and complicated car to built specially turnkeys with all the different options and models. It is hard to compete with foreign manufacturers with government support ($), a production line and cheap wages.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

It is sad. This past summer I had a chance to see my car at the Glen at the SAAC convention after more than two years in storage. It is a works of art the detail and the effort that was put into it by ERA. The GT is very time consuming and complicated car to built specially turnkeys with all the different options and models. It is hard to compete with foreign manufacturers with government support ($), a production line and cheap wages.

Dr. Velez,

I know of what you speak, I met you over twenty years ago since the first "Cobra" you bought from our "friend" Charlie...but you are slighty mistaken.

I know you refer to the Superformance GT40....Yes, they have a "production" line, but "cheap" wages, no. And the "gov't support" is some export credits. Please don't sell Peter short and his good works by blaming his stopping ERA GT production to "Unfair" competition. If you really think ERA customers were swayed to purchase SPFs in lieu of an ERA you are selling them short. The cars are different answers to the different questions, and none of the answers are wrong! I really doubt Jim Holden would have purchased an SPF instead of his really sweet ERA GT! I had a good conversation with Peter at Carlisle and he laid out his reasoning for shutting down GT production and it made perfect sense for his situation at that time.

And Jose, please don't store your cars! Drive the snot out of them!

Stop by anytime to talk about the old days, the car wth the "side oiler 427" that was a 390 and to drink a few beverages......

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

Years ago when I asked for information on one, I was quoted a wait time of a year to get the kit and only then start building it. I think the wait is far shorter to get any of the others...

About 3 months ago, I was told it'd take a year from the time a Superformance GT40 order was signed to see the "roller" show up on the east coast here in the U.S. (But, THAT would be a "roller"...which then supposedly would only need its engine & trans installed [well, yeah, sort of!] as opposed to needing complete assembly.)

The reason for that long of a wait being the number of orders Superformance has on hand waiting to be filled...or so I was told.

About 3 months ago, I was told it'd take a year from the time a Superformance GT40 order was signed to see the "roller" show up on the east coast here in the U.S. (But, THAT would be a "roller"...which then supposedly would only need its engine & trans installed [well, yeah, sort of!] as opposed to needing complete assembly.)

The reason for that long of a wait being the number of orders Superformance has on hand waiting to be filled...or so I was told.
I'm sure Rick will give a current report on SPF delivery time, but that doesn't seem realistic. I got mine in 5 months and that was 5 years ago when business was booming. At that time the year wait was for an RBT transaxle.

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

"Five months" may very well be the way 'tis as things stand right now, Dave. 'Just reporting what I was told 3 months ago. And it came from 2 separate folks who are associated with SPF. One is a dealer and the other used to be.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Currently the build time for an SPF GT40 is six months plus shipping. The factory (Hi Tech Automotive) having weathered the economic meltdown has cut staff and production to the current two GTs per month. As we have had a surge in GT orders recently the lead times have gone out some. If orders warrant it they could go to three units per month.

I have a chassis for a customer that was ordered end of March that will be shipping shortly so lead times are actually improving from earlier this year.

Of course the wait is worth it, after all you will have a GT40 to drive! And what could be better than that?

Dr. Velez,

I know of what you speak, I met you over twenty years ago since the first "Cobra" you bought from our "friend" Charlie...but you are slighty mistaken.

I know you refer to the Superformance GT40....Yes, they have a "production" line, but "cheap" wages, no. And the "gov't support" is some export credits. Please don't sell Peter short and his good works by blaming his stopping ERA GT production to "Unfair" competition. If you really think ERA customers were swayed to purchase SPFs in lieu of an ERA you are selling them short. The cars are different answers to the different questions, and none of the answers are wrong! I really doubt Jim Holden would have purchased an SPF instead of his really sweet ERA GT! I had a good conversation with Peter at Carlisle and he laid out his reasoning for shutting down GT production and it made perfect sense for his situation at that time.

And Jose, please don't store your cars! Drive the snot out of them!

Stop by anytime to talk about the old days, the car wth the "side oiler 427" that was a 390 and to drink a few beverages......

The average per capita in SA in 2012 is $3,800.00/year. That is around $1.84/hour. An average worker in the US at minimum wage will cost in benefits alone (SS, vacation, sick days etc) close to that. Hi-tech has a factory of 270,000 sq/ft. That would require in the US over $5M in physical facilities and Land without any tools. Try to export a US Kit car to SA. The taxes on a $20K Kit car would be close to $8k compared to less than $600 that the US would charge in taxes for a SA product. You do not have to be a genius to understand why manufacturers shifted their production out of the US. It is not a level field. If you enter other items like EPA, OSHA, state taxes, laws etc it becomes more difficult to built anything in the US. You add to that equation the help that the SA government provides to promote the export of product.

Jimmy and I have purchased 2 ERA GT each and several Cobras in the last 20 years and we did it because we liked the product and the people behind it and continue to do. I would not buy a car from Superformance and that is my choice. When a company stops production on a product the reason is simple. No profits in making it. In my business I am forced to buy foreign products (Non US products) because US products are not available or are way to high (built also in the far east). That is one reason the economy is the way it is now.

If Superformance turnkey is around $25K less than ERA "most" potential customers will buy them. ERA can not raise their price since would make the situation worse. Which leaves you with a small production that it is not profitable. You had your own business and had to close it. Why? Again the reason all business fails, NO Profits. All you have to do is read the question in this site when someone whats to buy a GT replica. Cost is their main concern. Other manufacturers like RCR have done a great job producing a low cost GT by cutting corners on originality. So that gives you the market range from low to high end.

You have your opinion and I have mine and we do not have to be offensive or cynic in our response.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Jose,

I apologize if you thought my post was "snarky"...no such was intended.

As to the wages, I assure you no one working on the cars at Hi Tech is working for that pay rate. They have some very skilled machinists, fabricators, etc. who are making a very fair wage for the area they live in. Understand that the cost of living in SA is lower. When I was told what I would pay for a good bottler of local wine I threatened to move on the spot! And the workers in SA get vacation time we in the USA can only dream of! You wouldn't believe the number of days the factory is closed for holidays and a long shutdown at Christmas/New Years, etc.

I for one am sorry to see Peter pull the plug on the GT. I was at SAAC circa 1985 when they announced and showed the prototype. I feel that having quality choices in the market improves the market for all and gives potential buyers the ability to shop varied yet high quality products.

I have great respect for Peter, always enjoy our conversations and the same for Jim H.

Currently the build time for an SPF GT40 is six months plus shipping. The factory (Hi Tech Automotive) having weathered the economic meltdown has cut staff and production to the current two GTs per month. As we have had a surge in GT orders recently the lead times have gone out some. If orders warrant it they could go to three units per month.

I have a chassis for a customer that was ordered end of March that will be shipping shortly so lead times are actually improving from earlier this year.

Of course the wait is worth it, after all you will have a GT40 to drive! And what could be better than that?

In 1994 I was with Peter at Road America for the GT-40 Reunion. He had a conversation with another Peter (SAFIR) and he had a few cars available and no one was interested. ERA was running out of tubs at that time and Peter was caution in ordering more. 10 years later Ford started production of a new version of the Ford GT and the market got better with interest. Then we have this global meltdown with money is very tight and much less to buy expensive toys any time soon.

You claim that Superformance is down to two cars per month and they have a much more Global sales than ERA. In other words the high end GT-40 replicas is practically dead. On the contrary for the Cobra market which is less expensive and easy to built.

Since you sell Superformance your opinion is weighted on their side. I am just a customer with a very good old friend

Back