Essex Wire colour codes

Bob--he's not talking about wiring colors. He's talking about the external colors of the GT40 that was campaigned by Skip Scott, sponsored by the Essex Wire company--white with a red stripe, with a thin black border.

1038-02.JPG

cm8839.jpg

FWIW there's a great thread on external color codes elsewhere in this forum:

Forum Member Paint Codes

I haven't searched it in detail, but I'd expect there would be at least one or two Essex Wire-colored cars there. :thumbsup:

Also, there are at least a few members on this forum whose cars are painted in that scheme, so even if they aren't captured within the database, I'm sure they'll chime in before long.

Hi Henrik,

Cirrus White (correct)
PPG LOT0053

Monaco Red (not 100% sure but looked good to me)
PPG LOT71245

Black
No specific type

These are European codes for the Lotus and Cortina.

Chris

Attachments

• Lotus_Cirrus_White.jpg
    Lotus_Cirrus_White.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 349
  • Ford_Cortina.jpg
    Ford_Cortina.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 437
Happy to assist - thought I had given the codes out at one time but maybe not. The Red was the only real guess as I have searched without success to an exact color. Ronnie Spain's account only confirmed the Cirrus White - who knows what shade of Red was used but keeping within the European colors I thought would be more appropriate.

Centre stripes dimensions is 14 inch Red with 1 inch Black borders and 2 1/2 inch Red sill stripes with 1/2 inch borders. Black nostril inserts and 3/8th inch Black roundel trim rings at 22 inch for doors and 20 inch for upper.

Also, I assumed the black-out sections on the front fender area & filler cap were for anti-glare but that is my interpretation. Flat (Matte) Black was sprayed on my car to effect. Any info would be appreciated, just would like to know the reasoning behind it. :)

Chris

Last edited:
Happy to assist - thought I had given the codes out at one time but maybe not. The Red was the only real guess as I have searched without success to an exact color. Ronnie Spain's account only confirmed the Cirrus White - who knows what shade of Red was used but keeping within the European colors I thought would be more appropriate.

Centre stripes dimensions is 14 inch Red with 1 inch Black borders and 2 1/2 inch Red sill stripes with 1/2 inch borders. Black nostril inserts and 3/8th inch Black roundel trim rings at 22 inch for doors and 20 inch for upper.

Also, I assumed the black-out sections on the front fender area & filler cap were for anti-glare but that is my interpretation. Flat (Matte) Black was sprayed on my car to effect. Any info would be appreciated, just would like to know the reasoning behind it. :)

Chris

Oh! Good post. I appreciate it
Thank you so much for the post. It's really useful.
That's pretty good.
Thanks a lot for the information

Back