Expensive Manta in Australia

There is currently a Manta for sale here, nothing to do with me, for AUS$250,000. And it's only a 2.8 litre engine, although it is road registered. But can't be worth this money.

Attachments

• Manta.jpg
    Manta.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 464

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Are there several Manta bodies, this one looks a little different, like it has a little M6GT in it.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Yes, that's a Montage, if I remember correctly. I think the Mirage, is the better looking of the two. I looked at buying one of them in the 80's.

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
If I could get that kinda money for a Manta, I would only build and sell Mantas for a living with 2,8l engines and all! :)

What are real vintage Can-Am McLarens selling for these days? Most of the GT40 replicas are about $100,000 us dollars, while originals change hands for a few million. Many other replicas cost 10 times less than the real thing i.e. cobras. Using that kind of math, what is the relative value of a McLaren replica?

Mark G, I tend to agree as to the relitive price for good replicas VS original. This looks like a very well finished car but without a Chevy V8 in the back it falls out of the "Replica" class and just becomes a "Lookalike" and they are worth a lot less, how much would anyone here pay for a GT40 with a transverse 4 or 6 cyl engine in it??? Just my opinion. Cheers Leon.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Even with a V8, the best price I've ever seen for a Montage was just under 20K, and that was a fair-condition car. If this was an emaculate example of a Montage, then I could see double that, to the right person, but that would be an extreme price given the historical sales prices of the Mantas.

For 180K you could have bought yourself a beautiful ''continuation'' level M6BGT. From a reputable Mclaren restorer. I know is I was thinking of purchasing it. It was really difficult to tell this folded aluminum/riveted car from a real Mclaren. Given that price example I dont see how anyone would pay that kind of money for this low quality square tube kit type Mclaren..????

Maybe things are way more expensive down there?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
For 180K you could have bought yourself a beautiful ''continuation'' level M6BGT. From a reputable Mclaren restorer. I know is I was thinking of purchasing it. It was really difficult to tell this folded aluminum/riveted car from a real Mclaren. Given that price example I dont see how anyone would pay that kind of money for this low quality square tube kit type Mclaren..????

Maybe things are way more expensive down there?

Boy Howdy,

Rob, I spent about an hour going over that M6BGT, it was absouluty beautiful! I really loved that car. If I thought I could have convinced the wife, I would have bought that one for sure!

I saw a listing from Fantasy Junction a while ago. Is that what you are refering to?
In fact I think they offered both an original and a high end replica within a short span of time.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Mark,

The one we saw was orange, but brighter orange than the Mclaren version. This one has an original body, with a very nicely done reproduction tub.

Back