Extra air in - scoops.

Hi all, I want to get extra air into the engine area and was wondering if any one has purchased or has moulds for scoops aimed at gathering extra air into the rear clip?

Also scoops or ways to bring air in through the rear window using Perspex scoops also would be interesting to see and try currently perspex windows in my GT40.

I currently have two circular aircraft vents.

Any links, photos or suggestions would be great.

Thanks in anticipation

Bernie

Bernie,
Some members have installed the MkII rear deck air scoops (periscope) on their MkIs.

I'm sure any of the manufacturers on here doing a MKII body could let you know if they have them.

Brett

MKII vents

Hi all,

I a looking to purchase a pair of MKII vents from the rear clip. I require additional air induction.

I would appreciate any leads to a supplier in Australia or overseas.

Also any other ideas or links to alternatives to getting more air into the rear Perspex window area - scoops, holes, vents etc.

Thanks for any leads or ideas.

Bernie

Hi Bernie, I'm nearly 100% sure Roaring Forties have these available.

Attachments

• 15 (2).jpg
    15 (2).jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 537
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 793
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 413
Re: MKII vents

Hi Bernie, These guys are talking about scoops used for brake cooling but I think you mean air supply to the engine, the same problem the Shelby guys had when they put 7 litre engines in. I suspect they took moulds off the existing side scoops and grafted them on over the existing air intakes either side of the rear window. A bit of blending in and you have something like mk2 carb air intakes. Cheapest/easiest way I can think of to get more induction air in. Cheers, Kev Farrington

Troy thanks I will ring Paul tomorrow. If I can buy them as a add on I will. Did they come as part of the clip or did you glass them into the rear clip??

The best way to get them is as Brett has shown above.

Thanks fir the leads I will get onto it tomorrow.

Bernie

keV

Thanks you are right but I think the MKII scoops will solve the problem. I recently saw a MKI at the Shelby event at Winton Raceway and the owner added scoops from the MKII to aid cooling.

I still need to get extra air into the rear clip - plennum - (spelling) area so will look at your idea.

Thanks again.

Fran, Rick, Paul,and Andy inclusive staff....

Guys thanks again for your assistance.

Paul will ring you as I am literally next door having the car painted and re built - next street at McDonald Brothers Racing.
Again thank you all for the advice and leads.
Bernie

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

keV

Thanks you are right but I think the MKII scoops will solve the problem. I recently saw a MKI at the Shelby event at Winton Raceway and the owner added scoops from the MKII to aid cooling.

I still need to get extra air into the rear clip - plennum - (spelling) area so will look at your idea.
Thanks again.

Hi Bernie
Can I ask why?
I did some calculations a while back and from memory at anything over 70mph (using 200mph = 6000rpm) on a 302 you actually could build up a pressure inside the "plenum" if it was fully sealed to bulkhead window and around carbs / turkeypan

Ian

Chuck

Supporter
Attached is a picture of the rear clip of an original GT at the Shelby Museum. It is a poor picture, but if you look close you will see three or four slots, about 2" high, horizontally placed on the rear glass.

I have also see the aero vents to which you refer, typically along the trailing edge.

I have alse seen a pic taken in the late sixties of a GT that had a single opening cut in the glass, about 12" long, 2" high, near the trailing edge, presumably because of the proximity of the collectors.

But in reality these aids will help only when the car is moving. A couple of vent fans to move the air will be much more effective. There is detailed post describing this idea on our build blog. I suspect a similar arrangement might be feasible for you. I can tell you that after several hundred miles the vent fans have proven very effective. When we stop the car after a good ride they are left on for about ten minutes. It is amazing how hot the air is that is expelled out the rear of the clip. It is also amazing how quickly it cools down with a good flow of air.

Attachments

• Air Intake Screen.jpg
    Air Intake Screen.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 494

Hi,
this is how I solved it, during driving it blows air into the compartment and in traffic jams you can see the hot air escaping through the ducts, so no air jam there.....

Cheers
(C)arlos

Attachments

• IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 464
Hi Bernie, the body pics are not of my car, but just some the RF gave me a while ago when asking the same question (and about the wide flares).

Paul also sent these, so yep, looks like they do come as separate items :)

Attachments

• DSC00897.jpg
    DSC00897.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 416
  • DSC00898.jpg
    DSC00898.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 380
  • DSC00899.jpg
    DSC00899.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 379
Why the rebuild Bernie? The car is only a couple of years old.
Is it to incorporate improvements based on use you have had or just that it has had a tough life?

Interested in the improvements you are planning.
Cheers
RV

Here is a pic of air vents and scoops to cope with turboéd 900hp plus (road registered car here in Oz).

Attachments

• IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 586
Back