Finally got my gt40….now the hard part

I’ve been reading as many build logs as I can while waiting to get my car. Finally got my RCR gt40 MKI with 2” flares. it’s going to sit for a while until I wrap up some other cars I’m working on. Until then I was looking to hear from others for hints or helps, especially looking back if you could do it different. Looking to avoid mistakes or easier ways of doing things with these cars. Looking forward to it!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations Pat!
Make sure that you support the center of that spider. If it’s allowed to sag very long, the fiberglass will take a set and you’ll have a miserable time trying to get it all to fit right later!

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Pat,
How are things going on your build? Have you decided on your drivetrain components. Reaching out because I should be receiving my kit soon and just wondering what to expect?
Cheers, Randy

Pat,
How are things going on your build? Have you decided on your drivetrain components. Reaching out because I should be receiving my kit soon and just wondering what to expect?
Cheers, Randy

I’ve actually been finishing up another car that I was building and am just wrapping that one up. I’m ready to order a 363 from Prestige to go with a ZF transaxle. I’ve been in planning stages only right now to get the engine, clutch, bellhousing, etc. Once I get all these pieces ordered I’ll start stripping her down and getting to work. I’m still trying to decide the best way to store the fiberglass body pieces while working on it. I work solo so would like to keep them off while I’m doing most of the build and don’t want them to warp while off.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Pat, for front and rear storage, I am going copy a solution shown to me by Howard John. It’s a cart he welded up. That’s an SLC rear end in the picture, but he also uses it for his GT40. For the spider I am going to make a wood bracing frame from 2x3s and hang it on a wall along with the doors and rocker panels. Looking forward to following your build progress. Cheers, Randy
IMG_2918.jpeg

Pat, for front and rear storage, I am going copy a solution shown to me by Howard John. It’s a cart he welded up. That’s an SLC rear end in the picture, but he also uses it for his GT40. For the spider I am going to make a wood bracing frame from 2x3s and hang it on a wall along with the doors and rocker panels. Looking forward to following your build progress. Cheers, Randy
View attachment 132286

thanks! I was worried about storing them vertically. I figured I needed to have them laying on a brace like they would sit on the car.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I think that the front and rear are more likely to deform if left laying down since the span of unsupported fiberglass would be greater in that position, especially at open end where they join with the rest of the car. I think it would also be safe to hang them from a wall or ceiling if the opening is down.

I may do as described in Tom’s build thread (https://www.gt40s.com/threads/toms-rcr-40-trackracer.24525/) and do the body fitting right after the initial suspension set up and then leave the car out in the hot Texas sun to fully cure the fiberglass. Then store the body parts while I finish the rest of the car.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I think that the front and rear are more likely to deform if left laying down since the span of unsupported fiberglass would be greater in that position, especially at open end where they join with the rest of the car. I think it would also be safe to hang them from a wall or ceiling if the opening is down.

I may do as described in Tom’s build thread (https://www.gt40s.com/threads/toms-rcr-40-trackracer.24525/) and do the body fitting right after the initial suspension set up and then leave the car out in the hot Texas sun to fully cure the fiberglass. Then store the body parts while I finish the rest of the car.
Make sure you have the windscreen in place as it ensures when it all moves the aperture will still be correct for the glass

Ian

Back