First design iteration...

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
While trawling the web I found these..... Apparently recently uncovered by ford an initial design concept for the GT. A week later a full size clay model was made. Imagine having a hinged windscreen!

Attachments

• Early-Ford-GT40-Design-Sketches-001-758x569.jpg
    Early-Ford-GT40-Design-Sketches-001-758x569.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 331
  • Early-Ford-GT40-Design-Sketches-002.jpg
    Early-Ford-GT40-Design-Sketches-002.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 314
  • Early-Ford-GT40-Design-Sketches-003.jpg
    Early-Ford-GT40-Design-Sketches-003.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 308
  • Early-Ford-GT40-Design-Sketches-004.jpg
    Early-Ford-GT40-Design-Sketches-004.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 309
  • Ford-GT40-Clay-Model-001.jpg
    Ford-GT40-Clay-Model-001.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 309

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I hate to think of the front end lift that would be created by that nose profile.
As I recall, one of the first iterations did have that boat-nose on it and it did get very light!

These images were first seen 'in public' in period. I have a copy of 'Style Auto' magazine from the sixties which has a feature on the then new Ford GT.

I can't find it at the moment, too many books in so many cupboards ! Some of these prototypes & sketches have been reproduced in other books over the years but it is always nice to see them again.

Style Auto was published in the sixties & early seventies, maybe longer ? It was Italian & was printed quarterly or bimonthly at different times during its life. It was concerned with body building / design / coachbuilders etc. so is relatively unknown.

Regards Steve

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
'Took one look at the 'aero' of the nose and wondered if the car would begin to climb skyward at 26 or 27 m.p.h.! ;-)

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
I have the 3 style auto issues which chart the development of the GT.... issues 22 and 23 in softback and the other one (cant put my hands on it so don't know the issue number) is hardback. Haven't read them in a few years and I think these were put together into a SAE??? book along with press articles, which I also have somewhere....

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Well, what's worse?

A) To know I have something somewhere but don't know where (can't remember, can't find)
Or
B) Not to know that you have something and be surprised (oh, did not know I have this) / Damn, why did I buy that 23,3mm drill a secound time....

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
A) happens all the time.....
B) happens all the time.....

and may I be so bold as to suggest...
C) knowing you have something, needing to find it and use it, not being able to find it, buying a new one, within 24 hours of receiving the new item..... finding the original one you had!!!!!!!

C) happens all the time.....

I FIND IT ODD THAT THE FIRST DESIGN SKETCHES ARE NOT SIGNED... IT WAS A COMMON PRACTICE AT FORD IN THE 60'S ACCORDING TO MY FRIEND WHO WAS ONE OF DESIGN ENGINEER ON THE GT/40 PROGRAM. HE THOUGHT IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN OUTSOURCED.
GOOD INFORMATION GUYS.. I NEVER SAW THOSE PHOTOS BEFORE

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
A) happens all the time.....
B) happens all the time.....

and may I be so bold as to suggest...
C) knowing you have something, needing to find it and use it, not being able to find it, buying a new one, within 24 hours of receiving the new item..... finding the original one you had!!!!!!!

C) happens all the time.....

A song has been writen/recorded about that:

Back