First Drive in a GT40..........Finally!!!!

Well, going into this, I had no idea of what to expect. Worst case, I’d waste 25K AA Miles.

Perhaps it is my direct sales experience, where I set low expectations for myself and thus am never really disappointed by a customer (I take a lot of “no’s” before I get a "yes"!). Possibly, it’s just my life experience... (43 years) has worn one me a little. Maybe, it’s some of the cars I had over the years that have been the proverbial ‘upside down gold mine”. Maybe the fact my daily driver is a very comfortable and well balanced car; a 2000 BMW 528i.

In any event, this real meat of this story begins a little more than a year ago… When ERA announced their GT in the early 80’s (if memory serves), I thought this was my chance to have a Ford GT. A real one was just not going to be possible... A Safir, forget it. Plus, with out having extremely deep pockets, chances are a real one would need more than a fair share of TLC (read cubic $$$) to meet my (seemingly unreasonable) expectations… It’s hell being an obsessive-compulsive perfectionist. It’s truly a disease when it comes to cars, motorcycles & other such things.

I started looking around and found CAV’s GT. Seemed interesting. The idea of a factory built car (Superformance model) was a good one, and really appealed to me, but Cobra’s just never did get me going, I just don’t care for open cars. Having had about all of the cars I have ever really wanted, I started doing my research in earnest. In February 2003 I flew out to Vegas for the SAAC does Vegas meet. I met with Roy Hunt and then with Bob Lacey. Unfortunately, no running vehicle in sight! I did see Steve Toner’s car, and was quite pleased with the quality, fabrication and fit/finish.

On the way back to Dallas, the wheels started turning... Hmmm. How to make this all work! Damn stock market. Just my (bad) luck, I am in the tech sector. Well, getting more serious I started speaking with other CAV dealers and the occasional owner. I have been around Shelby’s, Pantera’s, and Ford Performance cars for years. I even read the detailed entries in the SAAC registry when I have time to kill. I was surprised and pleased with their knowledge, interest & suggestions.

Still, no seat time... I am not going to shell out about 70 G’s in dead presidents just yet. I have to drive one...Plus, I am 6’ 2”, am I even going to fit into the car? Well, cash in some miles, and I am on my way to San Diego for a day trip. (At this point, the wife thinks I’m nuts!) Bob Lacey was kind enough to clear his calendar on less than two (2) days notice and picked me up at the airport last Wednesday morning. He showed me around, and gave me plenty of time to familiarize myself with the cars on the floor and all of the options. After a quick cup of coffee and some GT chit-chat, time for us to head off to the garage. He had a Silver GT with a 347 & stack injection.

He got me out of downtown and headed towards Palm Springs. Damn, this thing REALLY does turn heads... Almost an interruption as I tried to stay focused on the nitty gritty details. How well does it run, does the car drive well, ride quality, is the AC good? You know the drill. Again, as I said above, I went into this with low expectations. I did not want to be disappointed. Jeez, was I ever wrong.

The car drove out real well. It tracked nice & straight, no problem with bumps or potholes or tar-strips. It was a firm ride, but in no way stiff or uncomfortable. I’ve been in M3’s that were more harsh to ride/drive in. This one had solid lifters (I love that sound) and the stack injection, but the cabin was pleasant and we could talk in normal voices. The AC was just fantastic (remember, I live in Texas, it’s got to be good! I was surprised beyond all belief. Hell, I’m sold. Glad I left my checkbook in Dallas. Wife’s gonna flip for sure.

Now the tough part... ZF or Getrag??? Remember that obsessive-compulsive thing? It’s killing me... But, having driven one, I am going Getrag! It just hit me; I knew those Audi 5000’s were good for something! It will work for me. If I want to go ZF, I can always do so at a later date. It’s only $$$. I’ll save the 7K for now. CAV cars can be finished either way. It’s up to me & my $$$.

I call the wife from the airport; she asks me how it’s going. I say it was good, better than expected. She does not say go buy it, but she did not say give it up either. Hmmm... Quick thought... I bring her two (2) pounds of See’s Chocolates. Smart move. That night in bed after a long, but very exciting day, I heard her say what I was waiting for; “well, if it will make you happy, go buy it…” Damn,,, I hate it when she puts all that pressure on me!

So, what did I do??? I am waiting for #67, BMW (of course) Le Mans Blue with a 331 Keith Craft Stroker. Induction, Holley 670 Avenger. I’d like to do the stack injection, but hey, ya know, I gotta cut back somewhere.

Congrats as well Tom!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Don't worry I've been there and done that. But in my case it was sight unseen and without a test drive. Boy talk about a leap of faith. I wasn't disappointed either and have very high standards as well. Ask Canuck 40. He knows all to well.
By the way Bob is a top notch dealer and will help you any way he can.

Welcome to the club, Tom. My first impression was the same as everyone else. Wow, what a car. After my first drive with Bob, I knew I would have to get one. That was 5,000 miles ago and it is still a thrill every time I drive it. I even look forward to just working on it.

Tom,

Way to go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Keep us posted when you get it.

Have fun!

John

TOM, YOU "AIN'T" SEEN NOTHING YET. I'VE HAD MY CAV FOR 13 MONTHS NOW AND THE THRILLS AND EXCITEMENT HAVE NOT SLOWED DOWN AND I CAN'T SEE THAT EVER HAPPENING. JUST OPENING THE GARAGE DOOR AND LOOKING AT IT IS MORE OF A THRILL THAN ANY CAR OR WOMAN ( AT MY AGE - 58 ) THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN. GOOD LUCK WITH YOURS, AND I KNOW THAT YOU WILL BE A FRIEND OF BOB LACEY FOR EVER. BEST BUISNESS DEALINGS I HAVE EVER HAD. JOE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Good on you mate, you will never regret it. Keep us posted on your progress /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well it is the way it happens. I called a guy named Bob Lacey and took a flight to San Diego, looked at two CAV GT40's and talked with Bob, went for a ride and then every thought and dream came to reality - I sent a deposit next day for one of the three due in a couple of weeks last August. The appearance alone is unbelievable and Bob is a great guy. Mine is on the road this week, blue with white stripes, 17-inch wheels, ZF and 427 Cobra engine. We should all plan to meet in northern CA in the future.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
John Place.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Tom, It's great to hear before the sale comments like yours and easy to see how you came to buy the CAV GT. These cars are rock solid and drive like they're on rails.

We've all been in "flexy fliers" of one type or another, you know cars that just don't seem right when you're riding or driving. That monocoque is really stiff and contributes so much to the excellent road manners.

Literally everyone who's been in a CAV is astounded by how well they ride. Welcome aboard, looking forward to meeting you some day, some show, some where:)

Congrats Tom! Amongst the things I love about GT40 ownership is that the joy of the purchase has not worn off any. Never had that happen with any other sports or race car. It is timeless in many ways.

If enough of us guys in Texas buy these we can have a decent regional get together. Those English owners make me jealous with all their driving opportunities.

What's the hp quote on your engine?

Best,

Chuck

Hi Guy's...

Thanks for all the kind words here. I do appreciate them.

Been busy this past week getting insurance lined up, and picking out the needed bits... Remember that obsessive-compulsive discussion? Well, I'm going to put in a FoMoCo dual point with Pertronix. I Like that originality.

Thinking real hard about a Shelby S2MS intake & a 715 Center-Pivot Holley, but the 715's run so rich. Everyone I know has had great luck with the newer Holley Avengers, so I may go that route. Cobra Open letter valve covers, K&N Filter with the Filter top like Bill Anderws at HRE uses-Vic, if you know the size & part numbers for the air cleaner & base, please let me know. The obligatory Fire Extingushier.

As for the powerplant, I've pained over this one.. Give me some fee-back please. All my local cronies are out of BOSS 302 blocks, the SVO & Dart blocks are $$$. That said, this may be the first time I've decided to go with a Pro-Built motor with a standard block.

I've done the COAST 347 before and been real pleased. This time, everyone is suggesting I do the 331. I called up Keith Craft and have my eye on one of his 28 ounce balance crate motors with just a couple of changes. This will be the first one I've had in a while with out solid lifters. But that may be a good thing.. Tough to adjust in this thing, plus, the roller will be a bit more quiet.

The cost will come in around 5K, but, it is that old price versus value discussion... Plus his reputation is just excellent. He's close too, and has a new retail shop in Dallas. He's showing +/- 375 HP out of this combo. My Coast 347 with solid lifters was 350 HP at the wheels on the roller dyno going through a 5 speed Tremec and a 9 inch. My guess is that Keith has under-rated his motors just a bit.

Now, the hard part... How to pay for this thing.. Sell some of the company stock I own (seems like a good idea to me), get it financed (rates are good) or some combo of each...

I'll keep you all posted on the progress, but I'm expecting to be wrapped up in about a month or so... Having gotten lucky once or twice in my life, I'm fortunate to be able to do the instant gratification thing once in a while. Sure feels good... To be fair to the wife, I'm going to put some unneeded toy's and neat bits on e-Bay to help offset the cost of this project a little. That way, I'll be able to sleep at night (lol!)!!!

Hey Tom. You won't go wrong with Keith Craft. I actually had lunch with him and Drew(partner on the Dallas shop) on Saturday. You can do alot with a 331 and talking to Keith he said you can get about 450HP at the crank with one. When the SPF's come out and I can get my MKI then he's building mine. When you get closer to time to buy I would go over a sit down with Drew and have him work up a sheet for you....go solid roller if you do anything..I will be changing my 427S/O over to it when I get it freshened up.

Matt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Dallas, TX
ERA #122 427S/C
Waiting on Superformance MKI (please please please soon)

Howard Jones

Supporter
Strike 2, watch this forum for a early summer Northern Calif. GT40 beer party and cookout. Timming will depend on getting my car back from paint and together for "Betty's" comming out party. We had four 40's here last year. Drop me a e-mail and you will go on the list.

Back