Fluids and Capacities

In case it helps someone, here are some notes on the fluids that went into my (ls7) SLC:

Engine Oil: 8 quarts Mobil 1 (synthetic) 5W30
Coolant: 16 quarts DexCool mix. (this is the total capacity. 8 qts coolant and 8 qts distilled water).
Brake fluid: Dot 3 around 1 quart including some spillage (leaks).
Clutch fluid: Super Dot 4. One 12 oz. bottle might be sufficient if there are no leaks or spills. I bought 2 bottles.
Transmission oil: GL-4. Not sure what the capacity is, as the Graziano transmission came with oil already in it. Check by opening the side port on the transmission. Can fill from the side or the top.
Hydraulic lift: Power Steering fluid. One 12 oz bottle might be sufficient if there are no leaks or spills.
Fuel: 15.5 gallons premium car gas. Yes, the tank is supposed to be bigger, but this is a measured quantity, obtained by putting fuel in, using the pumps to drain until the pumps ran dry and then measuring the fuel which was poured back in. There is a moderate amount of unusable fuel when the car is sitting level (large bottom area of the tank with no slope to the fuel pickup point).

Notes:

I have a dry sump oil system. 8 quarts takes the 3 gallon Peterson oil tank to 2/3 full, which is what they recommend. A dipstick was created from 1/8" Versatube (3003-O VERSATUBE from Aircraft Spruce) with a curve at the top to make a handle and the 2/3 full mark on the side, which was made with a file.

Filling the coolant system was made easy by using an Airlift II Airlift II HD cooling system tool. This also helped greatly to find leaks before putting the coolant in.

Last edited:
Back