For 'old' aviators

Hi, all, and happy Turkey day. For those of you old enough to remember, there's a great video on youtube. Search for: "white cliffs of Dover - spitfire show".
Sorry, but I have to confess I don't know how to attach the link to this post :eek:)

Sure it does, Eric. Same engine, the magnificent "Merlin". Most of the great airplanes of the time used versions of the motor. Lancasters, Mosquitos, Hornets et al :eek:)

Marcus-- IIRC 'those' Messerschmitt's are Merlin powered Spanish examples.

You´re right, that´s why I thought it would fit in here so nicely...

To my knowledge, just like the Spanish Messerschmitt´s the HE111´s in the video (well, Film "Battle of Britain") served in the Spanish Air Force.

Cheers,
Marcus

Last edited:

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
How about this old standby. The P51 has an unmistakable sonic signature

My dad flew P-51's over Europe in WWII. Shot down 3 times, once by his own side. Captured by the Germans and escaped, made it back behind enemy lines.....I've always loved the shape of the P-51, never heard the sound until now! IIRC, the used Allison engines, or was it Rolls Royce's?

Doug

Early models/versions were Allison, later RR Merlin under license to Packard? IIRC.

Packard version was better as RR used system similar to Honda have used where sizes were random.For example in order to select a con rod bearing you first had to measure the journal dia & rod ID in order to know what to order which meant a huge parts inventory was reqd for service in the field. When Packard did the drawings for production USA style they used current practice of known size changes like std-0.010"-0.020" undersize journals etc

Last edited:
Many of the shots in the original film mentioned in the P51 post(Empire of the Sun) were R/C's,huge ones,built for the film.

Back