Ford 302, tapped hole in block

Hello
I’m hoping somebody is going to be able to help me out. I have a 1987 SBF, at the back of the engine block on the left hand side (looking from the timing chain end) is a tapped hole 7/16 UNC. Has anybody any idea what this is for?
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 216
Hello
I’m hoping somebody is going to be able to help me out. I have a 1987 SBF, at the back of the engine block on the left hand side (looking from the timing chain end) is a tapped hole 7/16 UNC. Has anybody any idea what this is for?
Thanks
Some Ford vehicles had mechanical clutch release mechanism, these were often chassis rail mounted cross shaft onto a nylon ball on that 7/16" stud. Think that is the case here if not some other linkage mount.

Are you sure it's 7/16? If it's any type of tapered pipe thread it may be a oil passage that had to be drilled and plugged. If you've turned the oil pump with it open and oil didn't go everywhere, that could eliminate that option.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Some Ford vehicles had mechanical clutch release mechanism, these were often chassis rail mounted cross shaft onto a nylon ball on that 7/16" stud. Think that is the case here if not some other linkage mount.

Doesn't sound like the correct side for that. On my Mustang ('67), that's on the right side looking from the timing chain end.

Thanks for the replies. Definitely 7/16 Brian, I have had the engine running without it plugged. I do have a small oil leak around that area , however I think it is coming from slightly above. It was the oil leak that led me to the area.
cheers

Back