Ford 4.6L MOD Motor

I'm looking at doing some work on a 4.6L Mustang Cobra Motor (2001) , but can't find any manuals or information here in Australia. Could anyone please help me out with info on manuals or building these motors. ie:tolerances, taking them apart and putting them together etc;

Thanks in advance
Bob

You should be able to get some factory manuals through a Ford dealership. They are amazingly similar to your 5.4 Boss engines. Just a low-deck version. In fact, if you were willing to work the proper channels for me, I'd be willing to purchase several Boss intake manifolds and pay you for your efforts. I'm having a hell of a time trying to locate someone interested in purchasing & shipping them to me in America.

Thanks Tim, I'll take you up on that offer. I've just bought that book from amazone but won't be here till december. Thanks mate.

Bob.

Hey Bob, I just found this post. There's at least 1 RF over here in WA with the Cobra 4.6 (Rego'd last december).

What exactly have you done to the motor? Did I see somewhere that it was going to be twin turbo'd?

Also, I'd love to see a couple more pics of the Mark II rear clip.

Cheers

Hey Troy,
Just got back from tunning the beast. It's a single turbo (garrett T51R) and running 19.5PSI and we achieved 948.5hp at the fly and 692.7 on a dyno dynamics dyno set on shootout mode (no cheeting) on shell V-power before we ran out of injectors (660cc injectors). Timing is somewhat conservative at 16 degrees. I've done 2300km's on a mild tune since rego last october and very happy with the motor. I'll be posting photos and details on the car once it's painted in three weeks time. I'll also post a small clip of the chassis dyno that I took on my phone once I figger out how to do it.

Last edited:

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
WOW!

That is impressive, what transaxle are you running that can handle that sort of power Bobski?

Bill

Bill: The transaxle is the 01E six speed with Quaife diff. I run 315/30 street slicks on 18" x 12" rims. I've driven it hard on 15psi on the road and the box is solid. I know that it's a lot of power and it will surely test any box. So far the tires have given way first.

Ali: I'm running the Haltech E11V2 ecu together with a M&W CDI unit. I had an EMS 8860 in it to start with, but struggled to pass emmisions with it, so we went for the Haltech. The lovely men at the RTA made me go down to half of 79/01 emmissions before they gave me a pass. How nice is that?

Here's a couple of shots.

Attachments

• P3310729.JPG
    P3310729.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 243
  • P3310725.JPG
    P3310725.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 248
NICE!! - VERY Nice indeed.....:thumbsup:

Not sure I'd want to put a warranty on that trans though although the hit from the turbo will be softer despite the torque... talking of which, what sory of figure did it achieve Bob??

Bill: The transaxle is the 01E six speed with Quaife diff. I run 315/30 street slicks on 18" x 12" rims. I've driven it hard on 15psi on the road and the box is solid. I know that it's a lot of power and it will surely test any box. So far the tires have given way first.

Ali: I'm running the Haltech E11V2 ecu together with a M&W CDI unit. I had an EMS 8860 in it to start with, but struggled to pass emmisions with it, so we went for the Haltech. The lovely men at the RTA made me go down to half of 79/01 emmissions before they gave me a pass. How nice is that?

Here's a couple of shots.

Awesome effort Bob - guys this is a fantastic example of a very Individually Constructed Vehicle and shows what people can do thinking outside the circle. Even the parts Bob bought directly from RF were customised in some way to make this a very unique car. Now where's the warranty paperwork on that trans.....

congrats on a great vehicle Bob, Regards Paul

Thanks for the kind remarks to all that responded. Unfortunately the trans didn't come with worranty. the torque figure is 878ft-lbs @ 4700rpm at the flywheel. Turbos produce a lot of torque, but the way it's delivered is much gentler that their NA or supercharged counterparts. She's holding up fine on the street with some agresive starts but on the track could be a different story with the oul temps rising. Once the car is painted I'll be designing an oil cooler for the trans.
It's past modnight and just finished sanding the front clip and while taking the wiper off, I broke it, so Paul I'll be giving you a call in the next couple of days to purchase a new one.
Once the car is finished, I'll be posting a build thread backdating to the start of the project.

Thanks again.

Back