Ford Blue engine paint

First be careful, it comes in two colors. There is a light and dark blue (both still "FORD" blue). Napa has it in our area. (Pacific North West) I'am out of the NAPA brands currently but did find a can of Plastic-coat Ford blue (the darker version) part #224. It is an Engine Enamel.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The Ford "Corporate" blue was used 1966 mdel year and until 1982. GT40s generally were done with the prior color setup which was black on the block and heads. Do a search on Google for more info on the correct corporate blue.....the Mustang guys have beaten this one to death.

Rick:

So for a 1965 GT would have black block and heads? What color did they do valve covers in? I saw a photo of one with steel valve covers with an odd looking box added on the valve cover.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Yes,

The block and heads are black. The valve covers varied by design but most were either painted silver ("Argent" in Ford speak and the color is still available from Ford in a rattle can) or plated in silver zinc.

The black is 80% gloss so not quite super shiny but not satin either.

The "box" on the valve cover is an oil breather/separator.

Last edited:
The Ford "Corporate" blue was used 1966 mdel year and until 1982. GT40s generally were done with the prior color setup which was black on the block and heads. Do a search on Google for more info on the correct corporate blue.....the Mustang guys have beaten this one to death.

Yea, this has been run to death over on the vintage mustang forum. There were some '66 mustangs that were painted black & gold. I painted the smallblock in my '67 vert the dark ford blue.

Back