Ford Coil Pack

All

I have bought a new US sourced Windsor engine which has wiring harness and a standard 4 coil pack on it. I thought I may be able to use the coil pack but I dont know anything about it.

Does anyone know anything about these coil packs.

1. Does it have built in ignitors or do I need to get some.

2. Does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for the ignitors and/or coils?

Thanks

John

Thanks for the link Neal. This is useful. It looks like this is a triggering system for older ECU's which could not look after spark control. My impression from the article is that the EDIS system also includes the ignitors so that it can be directly hooked up to the ford coils.

I am using a new Motec ECU which is able to control spark but would require me to use igniters (ignition amplifiers). I know the connections out of the ECU. I am really trying to find out how to interface the ECU I have to the coils I have. I understand generally how this stuff works, but I do not have any information about the coils so I do not know if I need to use a set of ford ignitors (I probably do but some coil packs include integrated igniters) or how to wire them.

Thanks

John

Hey John, Try going to to Motec website or give them a call. I am sure that they will answer any questions you have. They have lots of different wiring diagrams all in detail that should help also.
null
Dont' know how to show web page so here's the address. www.motec.com.au
[ October 25, 2002: Message edited by: GapLapper ]

[ October 25, 2002: Message edited by: GapLapper ]

Neal or others,
I am interested in the crank pickup from the system that you referenced above for a 351W. Do you have any idea of the ford part numbers for the timing cover, pickup, and toothed wheel? Which applications used this setup? Would the 302 setup work on the 351W?

Thanks
Gary

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
The cover is found on Ford Explorers amoung others. It should fit up to a 351. I recall seeing a company on the web selling them for $60 refurbished. A fellow over at www.ffcobra.com had one for sale. I do not know if Ford has a crank angle sensor for the 351. The higher deck height would not allow use of the 302 unit. I suspect they do. Perhaps a dealer can run one down for you. If your ignition doesn't required crank angle you could lop off an old distributor body and stuff it in to maintain the cam drive. I'll see if I can't track the numbers down.

Back