Franschoek Motor Museum near Cape Town

If you are ever near Cape Town the Franschoek Motor Museum at L'Ormarins wine farm is well worth a visit.

They have 80 cars on display (a further 300 are stored separately) in 4 large purpose built halls. Very classy with tiled floors and classical music playing in the background.

When I visited last week Hall 1 displayed prewar cars (including 3 Bugattis) , Hall 2 was various Mercedes through the ages, Hall 3 was some more ordinary post WW2 war family and sports cars (Jag, Austin Healy etc) and also newer sports cars including examples of Mclaren F1 and M6 GT.

Hall 4 displayed some very significant sports and race cars including an ex Fangio Maserati 250 F, ex Jody Scheckter F1 Tyrrell, no less than 10 Ferraris, an ex Le Mans Jag D type and an ex Le Mans GT 40, (will post pics of the latter on another thread).

And with wine tasting and good food in a Deli even the wife will enjoy the visit.

Cheers

Fred W B

P.S - A while ago their were a few on here talking about M6GT replicas, I have a few detail pics of the M6GT I can post if required.

pics Oct 11 - CT 007.jpg

pics Oct 11 - CT 025.jpg

pics Oct 11 - CT 021.jpg

pics Oct 11 - CT 065.jpg

pics Oct 11 - CT 067.jpg

pics Oct 11 - CT 072.jpg

pics Oct 11 - CT 076.jpg

pics Oct 11 - CT 074.jpg

pics Oct 11 - CT 054.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Fred,

Not sure but I think my wife & I were at the Fraschoek motor musem on the same day you where, did you happen to step ove the red rope to take some photos of the cars? We where there early and only one other couple there at the same time. Also took al lot of photos as well.

Mick

Hi Mick, that would be a coincidence. We were there mid morning to midday Wednesday 5th Oct. Their were only a few other people around. Had the halls to myself mostly. I was a bit cheeky, stepping over the rope, but only on the one occasion to get the rear view of the M6GT.

See me below.

Cheers

Fred W B

pics%20Oct%2011%20-%20CT%20006.jpg

Hi Fred,

Definately wasnt you guys I saw, we were in Franschoek around the same time and the first in on the 5th. Stayed at The Last Word in town Its beautiful part of SA, we really enjoyed it.

Mick

Back