Front cover and dress for serpentine

Ron Earp

Admin
Cover.jpg

I've got a front cover that looks like this. It has a boss that can hold a factory Ford distributorless pickup and uses a reverse rotation water pump.

Can this cover be used with the RF serpentine belt setup? If so, what water pump must be used? Late model 5.0L? If late model, which one as there are:

86-93 5.0L reverse rotation - medium length drive, used on lots of Mustangs etc.

94-95 5.0L reverse rotation - short drive, about 3.5" from back of pump to front. Also used on 91-93 5.0L Tbird/Cougar.

Explorer 5.0L - Do not know if it is the same as above or not.

I know this might cause some problems since car names are different in Australia. I figure the cover doesn't make such much difference, but the water pump will for the spacing etc.

Ron

G

Ron, the cover you have looks exactly like the one I have which is for a standard rotation pump (V belt). You also have the mount for a mechanical fuel pump. This cover may work with a reverse rotation pump, but I am not sure. If you go with a serpintine system I would use the parts that Roaring Forties uses or the rest of the stuff may not line up. The cover you have in the picture was used in the '70's and early eighties which were carburated with electronic ignition. If you have a Ford Racing Catalogue you can see the various pumps and cover that you are referring to. I just picked up two spacers and the modified alternator bracket from my machinist that allows me to use the short Ford v belt pump that was developed for street rods. The front of my engine is now about as compact and flat as a serpintine system. As soon as I have it together I will send you a picture to post if anybody is interested in how this works. The nice thing is I will not have to have the hump in the firewall now.

G

Ron

I'm running a 1969 timing cover on my
Cobra with a serpentine belt setup right
off my 5.0 Mustang. Reason I did this is so
I could have the oil dipstick tube up front.

My point is that I do not think there is any
difference at all among these covers,
except for those with fuel pump boss and those without.

I'm told the bolt pattern on the pulley for reverse rotation water pumps is different than for normal rotation pumps, so you shouldn't have a problem mixing them up.

I can't speak about water pump shaft length,
but given the number of people that sell
high flow water pumps these days, I'd think
someone makes one that will line up OK or
with a few spacers.Good Luck.

MikeD

Ron, with the timing cover you have you can ether use the 66-later 289/302 standar rotation water pump or the later model reverse pump.

Ron Earp

Admin
Okay,

Looks like the cover I have is the new ford motorsports cover with a fuel pump boss and a late model Explorer boss for the distributorless ignition pickup. It appears to accept either pump. I'll just block the pump opening up on the side.

So, here is what I will do. Purchase a late model, 94-95, Mustang 5.0L reverse-rotation pump that has the short snount. I already have a core in the garage for swap. If it is too short I can always shim the pulley as suggested above. I can always use shims to make up a gap, but it is hard to shorten a pump without work.

Hopefully, the remaining pieces from RF will bolt up as well as their other parts have. Should be no problem.

R

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

Ron Earp

Admin
Alright,

I've spent a lot of time at the parts counter and looked at a lot of similar Ford water pumps.

The front cover that I have, pictured above, is not the best cover for making a short engine. If you want to make a short engine, without spending money on special parts (Snow White, machining pumps, etc.) the best is to get the following:

1994 or 1995 Mustang Front Cover
1994 or 1995 Mustang Water pump

or

1991-1993 Tbird/Cougar Front Cover
1991-1993 Tbird/Cougar water pump

These are the shortest and use commonly available factory pieces. Also, the Ford Explorer 5.0L installation would do the same thing but I just don't know the years to list them.

There are differences in front covers as to what pumps they will mount. The front cover I have shown above will not mount the pumps I've listed here. It mounts a reverse rotation pump from 85-93 Mustang 5.0L (and others) but the pump is very long, about 5". The pumps I've listed look nothing like this cover at all.

The pumps I've listed are very short, about 3" from the back of the pump to the front and are inexpensive and readily available at your local Advance auto etc.

I can shoot photos and post to show the two pumps side by side if anyone cares.

Looks like I'll just need a different front cover and I'll be set.

Ron

[ November 04, 2001: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

Back