mike

[ February 13, 2002: Message edited by: mike_starling ]
smallchassisfix.jpg

G

Finally got the hang of it ... my server doesn't like spaces in file names!

G

There are reports that one of the earliest cars had the top shock mount tabs on the front brake loose when the shock bottomed out (reached the fully collapsed position). There are several ways to beef up the the tab mounts and Mike and I are working on a way to get a couple of sketches loaded. The easiest way would be to weld in gussets on the outside of the two tabs and along the top outside corner of the tube frame. This would spread the force from the outer end of the existing weld out along the tube. It has also been suggested that an upright might be welded between the two tube frame members under the shock mount (to stiffen the whole area) and then tie this into the shock mounting tabs. Looking at Ron's RF, I noticed that all of the suspension tabs were actuall L shaped with the foot of the L being triangular and runnin along the edge of the tube: in essence, the gusset fix described above just all one piece.

G

Guys,

OK ... I've heard this story twice now (separated by a couple of years). John indicates that this is not a likely problem.

Anyone have a more details?

I'm at the point in the build that if I am going to do this mod, I should bite the bullet ... take everything apart ... and do the mod before going any further.

Would love to have more data on the real need.

G

OK Folks, I have been convinced that the risk versus compilcation weighs toward reenforcing the upper shock mount.

Seeing as I can disassemble the beast in a relatively short time I will do it.

The problem that I now wonder about is that without removing the cladding from the foot wells ... there are only three sides of the added tube available for welding. Is three sides good enough?

In addition to the tube, would it be better to construct ears from a single piece that extends in a "T" shape some distance down the added tube as well as some distance along the horizontal tube? This could allow quite a long weld bead on these tubes thus increasing the strength of the assembly.

Comments, thoughts? Thanks.

Back