fuel filter orientation (fuel injection)

hi all, I am converting to throttle body fuel injection, due to practical reasons (on top of the fuel tank) I like to mount the fuel filter horizontal but is this creating a small air pocket in the filter? as air can be compressed I am afraid the fuel pressure can fluctuate or am I totally off?

thanks, Rick

forgot the drawing

Attachments

• filter orientation.png
    filter orientation.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 94

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Nope. You're spot on. If you're worried about it, prime it vertically and then install. If you're using hard lines, this may be problematic.

Any vessel without a port at the top will have a correspondingly-sized air pocket in it. If it's any consolation, the filter on my GT has been horizontal and without issues for 7k miles. I've seen others of clear plastic oriented horizontally near the carb and they too have pockets of air. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

There's tons of OEM's with horizontal filters along the frame rails. If there is an air pocket, it'll only act as a spring smoothing the pressure ripples as the injectors open and close. The air will easily be pushed past the filter media and fuel will pour through.

Back