Fuel pressure guage location

Marcus

Supporter
Hi Guys...
I am wanting to install a fuel pressure guage. Have a Standard Holley double pump with twin pumps.
Am proposing to install small guage after the regulators and on the single fuel pipe after the T just prior to car entry.
Question is as we all know this area get pretty damm hot in 40's....should I have any safety concerns fitting a guage into fuel line on top.of engine....?
Secondly I heard that the liquid filled (glycerine) guages can misread due to fluid expansion through heat.
Any body have experience with this...??
As always any help/advise much appreciated.
Cheers

Marcus

Neil

Supporter
Marcus,

Don't run a pressurized fuel line directly to a fuel pressure gauge mounted in the cockpit. If there is a leak, fuel sprays all over the interior, including the driver (you). Use a gauge isolator between the pressurized fuel rail and the cockpit. This prevents horrific accidents.

Marcus

Supporter
Thanks Neil ...was a typo that should read Carb entry not Car....... yes agreed no pressured fuel line in cockpit... Just a question of whether these guages can take extreme heat on top of a GT40 engine... I might play safe and go for plumbing it in just to test whilst static...
Cheers

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Why not run something like this?

so gauge fits inside the cabin and sensor only in fuel line?

Ian

Howard Jones

Supporter
Beware of the cheap ones, they leak. The ones with fluid inside the gauge to dampen needle movement seam to be better. Better yet. install a fitting for one and plug it when not checking/ setting pressure. Even a small dribbel (1 ounce) on top of the engine with the rear clam closed and the engine hot can burn the car down.

Here's my chance to ask (it's my thing) do you have a onboard fire system?

Marcus

Supporter
Thanks Ian and Howard for your kind help....I think I will play it safe and plumb in with a blank for testing only... . .. We all know how hot the cars run so it's simply not worth the risk and I don't have a fire suppression system Howard... It's somewhat annoying as I have an intermittent fuel starvation issue and a guage to check whilst driving would have been useful set up to be read through rear window.... I was told the pumps are very sensitive to getting 12v and exact amps to work so I have checked both positive and negative feeds and switches and all.looks good... filters are clear so it could be the regulators need adjusting however, so that's the next test with a guage in place...
Cheers Guys

Back