Fuel Pump Question

Back in the late 60's I had an electric fuel pump in a little Ford Falcon Sprint - ran a 750 double pumper on top of a mild built (for now, not bad for back then) 390 Ford engine. I can't for the life of me find any of my old data sheets (and I keep everything - much to my wife's dismay!) on the fuel pump - so I thought I'd ask here.

I think it was a Carter - - but honestly can't remember. The reason for the question is that the pump would run hard until it built up the required pressure, then the pulses would slow down - maybe 1 pulse per sec at idle & only ramp up when necessary. Ran great, was quiet & fed the 390 / 750 very well (wound up twisting the uni-body from the torque eventually).

Anyone remember back then????

Thanks in advance

Dave

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Here's a pair on a GT40'

1076-009.jpg

Thanks for the link Randy!

I was going back & forth between Carter and the old Mallory pumps - - did not even think of Stewart Warner!!

Dave

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
You're welcome Dave...

By the way - that link is to an NOS (New Old Stock) pump that the owner is pretty proud of. I've bought them at local swap meets for as little as $25. Finding parts for them (switches and filters in particular) are tough. There are some aftermarket gaskets / seals that can be purchased - also not inexpensive.

There are other pumps that will act in the same manner but obviously don't sport the same look. Look into Facet and AC Purolator pumps.

That said - if you want the performance and look of the old Stewie - there may be only one way to scratch that itch...

Thanks Randy,

Not as concerned with the overall look as the pump is burried in the side sponson at tank level - just trying to get rid of the annoying constant buz from the dam Holly Blue pump I have now!

I thought that this guy on e-bay was way too proud of that pump - nice condition, but holy crap I must be getting old and remembering the "cheaper" times!

Will look at the Facet & ac purolator pumps.

thanks again

dave

You want quite and dependable and it wont be seen? Look at the WELDON Fuel pump as a choice. I can't speak from experience because I only just ordered a pair, but a co-worker swears by them and talked me into a pair. They did cost me $270 each, but if you are running a carb system then it may be less $. I found a guy selling them for less than list :smart:

These pumps are rebuildable as well. :thumbsup:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Wish someone would make these again, I can't pay $750 for one NOS one, but I'd pay that for two new ones in a heartbeat. They would look very cool in the engine bay of my car...Safirs used Facet red pumps which are not bad but these are the real deal....

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Not as concerned with the overall look as the pump is burried in the side sponson at tank level - just trying to get rid of the annoying constant buz from the dam Holly Blue pump I have now!

Dave,
You might get rid of the buzz by taking those pumps outside of the sponson and fitting them to the bulkhead with nitryl rubber vibration dampers.
I saw a fuel pump set-up inside an SPF sponson and it was pretty fankled, so if you have braided hoses and these are touching the chassis plating, this will also contribute to your buzz.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
As far as I know Bendix sold up the pump division in Elmira during the mid-seventies. It is now one and the same ~ Facet.

The Facet looks 'meccano" to me, perhaps it's the yellow passivating but I would like to know if the original quality of the Bendix persists.
The Bendix also had a top filter.

Hi James, The single holly blue pump is mounted down in a "seperate box" that sets down in the open area behind the fuel tank & holds the pump, regulator, dual filters & supports the Pollack switch valve (1 pump sourced by the pollack valve from two tanks). The entire "box" is vibration mounted to the frame & the pump, regulator & filters each have seperate vibration mounts. It's just the damn holley runs at full tilt all of the time and I just find that annoying /wasteful - only bothers me in the garage as when the engine is running can hear anything anyway!!!!

dave

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The Holley red pump on my Kirkham Cobra is VERY noisy, and you can hear it all the time- even with the engine winding up pretty good. It's a PIA, but it seems reliable.

Back