Fuel Tank capacity

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I had the opportunity to check the effective capacity of the fuel cell in my CAV - vin 80 - and was surprised by a couple of things.

1. I topped the left tank off until I could see the fuel - then drove the car for 208 miles before it ran dry - I was surprised I was getting over 20 mpg!

2. I then filled it carefully to the same level and it took 10.1 US gallons - I was amazed that the fuel pickup was so effective.

I also checked the guage after adding 5 gallons and it registered almost exactly half full.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
CWP is a 3.77 -

1st though 5th are 2.23,1.47,1.04,.846,.655

At least 50 miles of that tank were through some curvy mountain roads folowing a 427 Cobra and a Lister....of course we were all going fairly slowly.

Ian Clark

Supporter
That's really close to what we run so the fuel economy makes sense. Also you stay well below 3000rpm at legal highway speeds, after which the Webers get pretty loud, fabulous sounding but a bit much for long distance touring. Cheers

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Not a whole lot of difference, really. Of course I do run straight pipes most of the time so the exhaust note is pretty loud when I get on it.

Last edited:

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Missed this.

Not yet - it is actually fairly quiet as long as the loud pedal isn't pushed too far down. It is cetainly quieter than many of the Harley Davidsons I hear around here.

Thanks Pat, gotta try that, nobody bothers you about noise?

This is the great state of the US of A Ian! You can run around here with no exhaust, bumpers scraping the ground and sending off sparks, one headlight, bald tires and a gun rack.

Oh, but you do have to buckle up, and you can't talk on your cell phone...

Back