G50 flywheel and clutch options

Hello
I am using an LS engine and have a G50/20 trans. I called and talked with KEP and can get their flywheel ($500) and clutch ($900+) that will work. I have the adapter from RCR for my SLC also. My concern is this, the flywheel is 17+lbs and the clutch is almost that much. That seems really heavy to me and I was wanting a low weight so the engine will rev really well as I am going for a high rpm ls engine. Torque will be in the 450 range max so I was thinking if I go for 500 on the clutch setup I could be fine.

Now I was thinking of trying to get a custom flywheel made and use like a 5.5" triplle disc push type clutch instead of pull type and convert it. Weight should be like half and should be able to handle the power, but the where to get it done and how is the question.

Has anyone done this and give some insight into who can make up the items.

On the clutch I was thinking a tilton type or quater master type.
Thanks,
Troy

Found someone. They can make an alum or steel flywheel that is in the 8-10lb range and use a 7.25 tiltion twin disc setup. They said a 5.5 would not work for the street and kill it fast so ok on the 7.25. They have done a ls to g50 combo before and push to pull conversion on this setup. They can make the flywheel, are a titlon dealer, have the push type release bearing item and conversion for the G50 to use it. All exciting and good news for me. A little bit more for the one off item right now, but future ones should be similar to the KEP package. So lighter and can handle the power will be a nice option. I need to get them some specs and then they can give me more final pricing, but this is something they might make a part number for fo the future to make ordering easy.

Once I have more details I can post if needed.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thes setup I have includes a flywheel manufactured for RCR (I believe it came from FlatChat Chris here on the forum) and the KEP pressure plate and Porsche disk.

Transaxle & clutch

If m memory serves me correctly, the flywheel came in at about 11# and the pressure plate a similar amount. The whole nine yards with the disk was around 25#. I think you may be surprised at how much "going lighter" is going to cost you. Your budget may allow for that or maybe not. For my money, a rotating mass under 30# is very acceptable and the engine free-revs like a beauty.. Plus, if you have a really lump camshaft, the slightly heavier weight will make the car much more enjoyable to drive.

KEP said the flywheel is 18lbs and clutch is just a little less. So about 35lbs total. The setup I am thinking about using is in the 18lb range for flywheel at 9-10lbs and clutch at 8lbs. It does cost more and will be about $500-800 more, but will come with all that is needed so I think it is worth it. If they make a kit with a part number it should be cheaper for all the others that order if after me, if anyone does.

On the idle I am not sure what it will be like yet as I plan to have a solid roller cam and high rpms so we will see. I was thinking I was going to bump up the idle to around 1000-1100 anyway as that is what I usually make all my cars. I am not used to the V8 600rpm, yet you never know.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Troy, I went down this road you're heading with my 351W\G50\52. Tilton double disc, Tilton concentric hydraulic slave, Tilton custom flywheel and $5,000 later (iirc, I try not). Not sure I would do it again. Why you ask? The concentric slave cylinder is a very very short movement, clutch is either engaged or not and nothing in between. To the extent you can "slip" the clutch it chatters pretty good, in other words it really is not a street clutch. Do I mind? Not really (it's certainly a pretty piece of engineering) but passengers surely think the car is falling apart! Maybe a conventional slave cylinder would allow more slip and eliminate the chatter, I don't know.

Try calling California Motor Sports in Lake Havasu City, Bobby. He'll have good suggestions.

Tim

Hey there Tim,

Tilton makes several different concentric slave sizes and throws, perhaps you did not get the correct one for your application?

I have had good success with this system in the past, but it was quite pricey. Quartermaster makes a pretty good one too, for quite a bit less money.

Erik Johnson

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Erik,

True that but my G50 bellhousing was cut back to reduce o\a length thereby leaving a limited about of space for the clutch pack and t\o bearing\cyl.

My G50/20 will not be cut back so maybe the one I can get will work well like Erik was talking about. It is good to here that Erik has had good luck and yours was cut back I know the price is in the $450 range for that part alone, then clutch and flywheel.

Tim, on your setup what about using a different master cylinder size? That would change the pedal travel and might give you more control over the bearing and might work out better for your shorter situation.

Troy

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Hey Randy, thats a pretty impressive build manual you're doing there-- and yep, I have fond memories of massaging that flywheel into shape for you:laugh:and the engraving indicates FWN507 which means Ford Windsor Neutral fifth month '07 --- thats 5 1/2 years ago ----already:cry: --trust, you're enjoying cruising around the countyside in it ??

Troy, I think our flywheels are close to 5 kg (~10lb) similarly to KEP and I'd go with KEP light weight G50 clutch pak - pull type --less hassle, completely reliable and will face up to any challenges you can thro at it

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for that Chris. My memory is not what it once was. I have had some events in my life that slowed and ultimately stopped my build. I hope to be back on line with it again very soon.
BTW, the machine shop that did all my balancing work said that they had never seen such a beautiful piece as your flywheel.

Chris. You can email me offline about your flywheels if you want. Kep is in the 17+ lb range and that is what they specifically said. I can look into their lightweight clutch combo.

Back