G50 vs ZF

What are the pros and cons using a Porsche G50 and ZF in a CAV with a 302 with a Getrag? There are many GT-40s with both. Won't the G50 handle more hp than the ZF and isn't the G50 lot less money? My neighbor has a 1996 Porsche with more than 660 hp and runs the u-know-what out of it and has no problems with the G50 6 speed or engine. Lots of problems with tires, wonder why.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Joseph, you'd have to be comparing the G50/5x units. From what I've read on this forum and else where, and there's heaps of info on this subject, I gain the impression that the G50/5x and the ZF are similarly capable. Remember though that it is not horsepower that kills trannies but torque. I think with a 302 you'd be fine with either. G50/5x are getting more expensive all the time so the price gap to a ZF is steadily reducing. Remembering that ZF was an original fitment it's almost worth paying the little extra for that alone IMHO

Regards

Last edited:
ZF!!

Hi
I chose a new ZF (RBT) 5spd for my car CAV106 for following reasons;
1) CAV can be factory fitted either Getrag or ZF. g50 was not available option.
2) ZF uses off-shelf bellhousing, clutch assembly, flywheel and starter. With g50 you enter a whole situaution of make to fit parts.
3) ZF provides the lowest possible mounting of engine for centre of gravity and 351 engine clearance, without going dry sump.
4) Your choice of ratio, plenty available. Do your calculations well once you have the dyno sheet for your engine.
5)Originality, simplicity and resale value of car.

With all the mods required you are not goig to be far off ZF price. G50s are becoming scarce and I know of 2 new units for sale in South Africa and they wont be cheap.
As for ZF, go new, cos if a 2nd hand one needs repairs you may as well have bought a new 6spd.

Good luck
J Hamm

Back