G96-50 advice needed

Hi all
Having purchased my second 40 kit (MDA) I am looking to install the best transmission I can but alas cant stretch to a ZF/ZFQ...I have located a G96-50 6 speed but need some advice about it.
Am I right in thinking its all wheel drive? Does it require any internal modifications to be used in a 40 installation? Is it too long?
Has any one used one before?
Many thanks
Richard

I don't think that you will have an issue using this gearbox, but it will require a bit of work. Spacing to get it to fit may be interesting as well, but I am pretty sure that these have been used in the GT40 before.

Let me know if I can be of more help. I know quite a bit about these particular gearboxes.

Erik Johnson
(303) 895-4828 cell

Richard. How are you going with your search for info on the G96.
I had a G50/01 but I am currently fitting a G96/96 into my 40 now.
And I can say yes they are stronger and longer. I removed the tail housing and milled the gearbox mount off and all the exess I could and the box is still about 90 mm longer which means for me it will protrude past the back of the car. I will need to cut the body or shift the engine forward. On the up side, compared to the G50/01 It has much stronger internals and much heavier ring and pinion, The side plate is twice as strong. It has an internal oil pump and factory spray bar. However I had to make a new oil pick up , being inverted, But easly plumbed for a cooler. It also has a simple cable shifter system.
It cost me half as much again as the G50/01 but it looks twice as strong
And still lot cheaper than a G50/50 or52. Parts are readily avalible even down under in NZ:shy:
Woody

Last edited:
Pete, I am looking at a G96-50 to put in a GT40 build. Were there any issues apart from capping front drive, oil pump pick-up and clutch set-up. ?? I have used G96 and G50-01 in other cars, But I like the idea of the stronger G96-50.

Murray

I don't think that you will have an issue using this gearbox, but it will require a bit of work. Spacing to get it to fit may be interesting as well, but I am pretty sure that these have been used in the GT40 before.

Let me know if I can be of more help. I know quite a bit about these particular gearboxes.

Erik Johnson
(970) 344 7761

Hey there Guys,

New phone number for those with questions.

Erik

Back