Gauges

Does anyone have information as to what kind of gauges are correct for a 40 dash? Particularly brand names, how many, what sizes, and what the layout was in the dash? Thanks all.
Best regards, Blue

Here are a couple of books you should try to track down:

Ford GT40 by John S. Allen
Pages 34-35 show the cockpit of GT/108, and it can be seen that the gauges used in this car are Smiths

The Ford GT40: An Anglo-American Competition Classic by David Hodges
Page 106 shows the dash layout (for a RHD car, of course). Starting on the left, they are: Speedometer, Fuel Gauge (Left hand tank), Ammeter, Oil Temp Gauge, Water Temp Gauge, Tachometer (front and center, as it should be), Oil Pressure Gauge, Fuel Gauge (Right hand tank).

Oh, btw, GT/108 has no speedometer and the gauge layout is different. The layout shown in the Hodges book is most likely for a Mk III, as it shows a cigar lighter, and I don't think that was standard equipment on any of the race cars
tongue.gif

[ November 14, 2002: Message edited by: Steve Toner ]

Here's a closeup of the dash of, I believe, 1075, taken at Laguna Seca in 1989. Note the "WINKY DINK" switch. Not good enough quality to tell what kind of gauges those are, though...
dash2.jpg

Blue,

You can find the switches at http://www.europaspares.com they call them Lucas Flick Switches. Europa may not be the cheapest prices but they do international mail order and I have found them good to deal with.

Regards
Dave Champ

And no chrome bezels, they were all black ...
Road cars and MKIII´s had a turnsignal switch as any modern car, but they were dash mounted...
But race cars like 1075 did not..
Just the "winky dink" !!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

All manually operated.
And all GT40 instruments were specially made.
wink.gif

You guys are incredible! Thanks for all the quick responses. Looking at the picture of the gauges on 1075 it appears that they are not chrome bezel style but for some reason I seem to remember that the cars came with chrome bezel gauges. Probably my brain cells acting up on me again, or maybe the earlier cars had a different style gauge from the later cars. Oh, and one other thing which I need to know: What in the world is a "Winky Dinky" and why does it need to be switched on and off? Now that I know my car has to have one, where can I get one? I asked the guys at the local parts store but they just looked at me kinda funny. Thanks again all. Regards, Blue

[ November 16, 2002: Message edited by: Blue Oval Blood ]

One further point, I bought my Smiths gauges from Speedy Cables (Andy Barraclough at [email protected] ) because they were able to supply a 200mph scale speedo. They need a measurement of the rolling radius of your rear wheels to calibrate the gauge.

Speedy cables also supplied me custom length capillary tubing on the full scale water and oil temp gauges. I thought oil temp was not a standard fitting but I have squeezed one in to the right of the rightmost gauge.

I have to say I did wait some time for these special gauges from Speedy Cables and got tired of chasing them but they did come eventually and were perfect.

Good Luck.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
VDO make a nice range of black faced gauges(Cockpit Pilot) which suits the '40 & can be supplied with chrome or black bezels.

I asked a lot of guys with clubmans & Cobras about reliability & the universal answer was that VDO is tops. Another nice feature is that the speedos can be calibrated by the end-user - just move the car over a known distance, push the button & all is done.

Peter D.
smile.gif

Regarding the guages, I was wondering if some of you with more experience and knowledge could list what guages were used, the sizes and part numbers of these guages from the smiths catalogue to help us poor less fortunate souls who still have lots to learn. Will save alot of confusion about what's original and what's not as well as making it easier to order them when needed.

Scott

[ November 18, 2002: Message edited by: GapLapper ]

Here is the list I ordered from Speedy Cables

All Smiths Classic instruments with black bezel:

AM1640-03B Ammeter 60-0-60
BV2220-00B Voltmeter
PG1310-00B Oil pressure with 3 metre capillary tube
TG1310-01B078 Water temp with 3 metre capillary tube
TG1311-01B078 Oil temp with 3 metre capillary tube
BF2242-01B Fuel unleaded (2 OFF)
RVC2890-00B Tachometer 8 cylinder
SNT5372-06B Speedometer with 200 mph dial

Alternatives with electric sensors:
BP2404-00B + Sensor Oil pressure including sensor
BT2240-00B + Sensor Water temp including sensor
BT2240-01B + Sensor Oil temp including sensor

Hope this helps.

In the end I went for a voltmeter rather than ammeter becuase you can tell from the voltage if it is charging and I have always found ammeters difficult to install well (very heavy cables to dash) and the reading has to cope with maximum current (maybe 60 amps) but then shows very small movements in typical conditions.

Dave Champ

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm using Smiths as supplied from Roaring Forties but went with the electric gauges. ?They look the part, just don't have 270 degree arcs as the mechanical gauges do however they are isolated and are more easily wired with the RF electrics loom than mechanical gauges.

Ron

Ron,

You are right the dash installation is much easier without capilliary tubes but I chose 'mechanical' gauges for several reasons.

I like the 270 degree face it gives more resolution to judge the temperature, and looks more original. The gauges seem more responsive (electrical gauges are generally damped), for example if I accelerate I can see the cycle as the water temperature rises and then falls when the thermostat opens. Lastly I think they are more accurate, I have heard of electric sensors reading way off the actual temperature (though this is unsubstantiated).

Ron Earp

Admin
I like the mechs too, the 270 arc does look like the real deal. I just got the simipler ones to start with as the wiring loom is already geared for it. If I change to mechs I can take these and put them into a Cobra that I hope to build one day.

Ron

Back