German Insurance and KFZ Steuer ( Car Tax ) for a newly built GT 40

Hello everyone,

since I am planning on building my own GT40 here in Germany, can someone fill me in on :

1 How much the KFZ Steuer for a 5 Liter Engine will be per year

2 Full Insurance of the car

3 Haftpflichtversicherung per year

4 AU ( Emissiontest ) for the German TÜV

Sorry to all of you, who are not concerned with these questions, but since over here in Germany everything is handled straight by the book ( mostly )
One can easily end up with the shitty end of the stick, when trying to get such a car, built by yourself, on the road and getting it insured without having to sell your home for it.

Thanks for any ideas and information.

Ena

Hei. Da Du ja nun nach infos für Deutschland suchst, bin ich mal so frei und schreibe auch deutsch (englisch ist für mich auserdem fast nicht möglich...)
Ich schrieb ja schon es wäre überaus hilfreich, wenn man irgend eine plattform für Deutsche gt40 Thematik hätte! Ich denke mal das man etwas selbstgebautes bei uns sehr schwer bis fast garnicht zugelassen bekommt! Euro 6 wäre schonmal die erste Hürde. Schöner Vergasermotor fällt da schonmal direkt raus..... Ich fänd es mal sehr hilfreich, zu wissen was benötigt wird um einen Belgien, England oder Frankreichimport benötigt, um eine Nummer zu bekommen. Was der 5.0 Hubraum Steuerlich ohne H kostet ist sicher noch davon abhängig welche Schadstoffklasse der hat. Aber bei einem Neubau geht NUR E6!

Hallo Harry,

ich stehe in Verbindung mit Andy von Tornado Sports Cars, die wohl über eine Firma hier in Deutschland, ein Zulassung für selbstgebaute Autos erreichen können. Bei weiteren Neuigkeiten von Ihm, schreibe ich die Infos an Dich weiter.

Here, what I wrote, in English:

I am in touch with Andy from Tornado Sports Cars to address the issue of getting the self built cars registered in Germany and get a roadworthy document from TÜV. Will forward all info to you.

Ena

Hello everyone,

since I am planning on building my own GT40 here in Germany, can someone fill me in on :

Sorry to all of you, who are not concerned with these questions, but since over here in Germany everything is handled straight by the book ( mostly )
One can easily end up with the shitty end of the stick, when trying to get such a car, built by yourself, on the road and getting it insured without having to sell your home for it.

Ena

Hi there, beeing in Germany and driving a GT40 recreation with 427 Windsor, dry sump, a ZF transaxle (that I just blew up because thes simply can´t deal with the torque of a well built 7 L engine..... )I knwo that it is a hassle to deal with authorities.

I have a legal historic registration which is hard to get nowadays and requires some work, contact and money to be invested. Even more so if you plan to use it for motorsport with FIA approval.

My 2006 GT is lots of fun to drive and a lot easier to maintain, but obviously not that sort of old school racer like the GT 40.

Harrie is right, to build a car from scratch and try to get it registered without bending the law is impossible.

Due to emissions, the new C8 Corvette even in CA set-up can´t get a german registration.

The last thing I would worrie about is insurance or tax which are minor expenses!

If you want to build it yourself, may I ask what kind of qualification you have and if you want to start with a Superformance or CAV or rather go with these british kits that sometimes have nothing in comon with the real deal besides the looks?

Does anyone use the ZF or Quaife gearbox for a longer period of time with north of 600 HP without problems?
Even with the strenghtening Quaife offers nowadays the are rated to last up to 500 bhp.

In 2018 I have had a long talk with Lee Holman in Laguna Seca during thhe Pebbel Beach Car week and he said that only the Kar Kraft transmission would last behind a Big Block, any experience or suggestions regarding a proper way to make the ZF stronger would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_9668.JPG
    IMG_9668.JPG
    479.1 KB · Views: 318
Thomas I too have broken ZF (actually RBT) twice now. I also have a 427, but sbf with 520 lb. ft. torque. No problem for street use, but after 10 track days 4th gear teeth shear off. RBT admits 427 with racing slicks is beyond the trans limit. Holman is right about the t44 and that's why Ford used it with the big blocks.

Thank´s for the infos, a stronger housing / rear cover would already take care of some of the problems and that´s not too hard to manage. The fourth gear is another story. My friend does nothing besides developping solutions for high torque applications of transmissions and if he comes up with an idea or a solution I´ll let you know respectively post it in the forum.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
It all depends on....

See my comments below

Hello everyone,

>> depends on emissons > if registered as classic car it is ~ 190€ regardless of displacement

>> depends on total Value of the car > with classic car registration it can be quite low

>> see 2.

>> if registered before 01.07.1969 no emission test required

Ena

H Kennzeichen kann man aber bei einem Auto was nach 1989 gebaut wurde voll vergessen! Bei uns in D werden alle pseudo Oldtimer zur zeit vom KBA kräftig aussortiert und still gelegt und zwar OHNE jede Changs auf irgend eine erneute Zulassung! Hier in D werden und wurden gerade alle möglichen Cobras (auch von SPF) still gelegt!

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Harry,
I'm afraid that you are right....
Purchase an older built which was registered 30+ years ago + optional classic car registration
or
Newer built w/o classic car registration (and drive until 30 years are reached ;))

Option mentioned via Tornado sounds promising...... wasn't there recently another German Tornado built? Wounder what his plans are..

Back