Getting Rid of Windshield Wipers

This is a serious post.

If you could make your SLC

• lighter
  • simpler
  • more reliable
  • have better aerodynamics
  • faster

would that interest you? Would you like that?

Then how about us get rid of our windshield wipers?

Did you ever see the scene in Steve McQueen's film Le Mans, where Steve is passing a wreck, and it has been raining?
LeMans_Movie_001.png

c and courtesy of Cinema Center Films and Solar Productions

The 917 had a single feeble windshield wiper. For a 220 mph car!

What if we got rid of the windshield wiper completely?

Wait! Before we all cry "And replace it with what?!" Just think of what it would mean: without windshield wipers, our SLC's would be

• lighter
  • simpler
  • more reliable
  • have better aerodynamics
  • faster
And replace Wipers with--What?

McLaren is working on this.
"Britain’s most advanced car company is working on secret plans to dispose of the windscreen wiper — an archaic throwback to the early days of the automobile.
"According to McLaren, the firm that builds supercars for the road and Formula One cars for the track, the new system is adapted from fighter jets.

"It is expected to use high-frequency sound waves similar to those used by dentists for removing plaque from teeth and by doctors for scanning unborn babies.

"By in effect creating a force field, water, insects, mud and other debris will be repelled from the screen."

Read the rest here: Car maker McLaren waves goodbye to wipers | The Sunday Times

Yes, the improvement is incremental, but every bit helps and wouldn't it be better than that pitiful wiper on the 917?

Les Nordman

What would it cost? $500? My wiper and motor probably weigh less than 4 lbs, total. That's an expensive way to lose weight. Easier to push away from the table.

It's like the guys on the Corvette forum with the $15,000 carbon wheels so they can save 5lbs a corner.

On the SL-C race car I use RAIN-X spray windshield lubricant. Its plenty good for short rains. But if Rain-X proves to be not enough, then I am out of the race anyway. When hydroplaning becomes part of each lap's norm, I am gone. Been there; done that. No Mas! Love the book: hate the reality. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Racing-Rain-My-Life-Dog/dp/0062015761"]Racing in the Rain: My Life as a Dog: Garth Stein: 9780062015761: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

I also use Rain-X on my street sportscars. Great for bugs and big rain, but still need the wipers!

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
FYI
Rain Ex is a great product but DO NOT use it on the lexan race windscreen or side windows. The chemicals in it eat into the plastic and create small pock marks...no problem with a helmet visor as they are replaced frequently but it should not be used long term on anything thats painted or plastic...

There are other formulations of product for these materials and surfaces.

When tracking my cars I just remove the wiper arm from the knurled motor stalk -- stick it back on when the event is over.

Novus #1 Lexan cleaner works well. Look for it at motorcycle dealers or from Pegasus Racing. NEVER use Rain-X on Lexan!

+1 on the Rain-X, Works great on nice "new" glass but still works good on older pitted glass. Someone once told me that WD-40 on glass works almost as good as Rain-X.

Besides its a legal requirement to have a wiper

IMG_1050.JPG

SLC windshield. Image c and courtesy StaceyDavid.com
Fran:

Your aerodynamics expert there at Superlite has had McLaren experience, so he has had experience with vehicles at all speeds. What are the difficulties of keeping windshield wipers working effectively through the entire speed range of an SLC--from at rest to 240 mph (just to pick a number :) )?

Thank you for your help.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Seriously.... I doubt anyone would be doing 240mph in the wet...

Wipers don't need to work at really high speeds as the water will sheet off and keeping them attached on a race car is no more difficult than a high speed production car ...anyone racing will be using a screen prep. solution (rainex etc ) too

. . . Wipers don't need to work at really high speeds as the water will sheet off and keeping them attached on a race car is no more difficult than a high speed production car ...anyone racing will be using a screen prep. solution (rainex etc ) too
Thanks, Fran! :thumbsup:

Les

Back