Gone for 10 years... Getting into a RCR40

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
I left GT40's.com about 10 years ago when I sold my GTD GT40 and retired from Ford Mo.Co. to retire in Mexico. We started out traveling the U.S.A. for about 6 months and during this time we decided that we would not be able to retire since we did not know what to do with our spare time. We moved to Houston Texas and re-entered the work force. After working for another 8 years we thought that we were finally ready to retire so we moved to Tulum Mexico. Well long story short, after about 5 months of doing nothing we decided to move back to Houston and go back to work again. I was rehired by my former employer with a raise :) and we will be closing on our home in early February (we returned to the USA December 27th).

After lurking on the site for a few months (while in Mexico I had a lot of spare time) I decided that I would build a RCR GT40 (I never really got over selling my GTD GT40) so I ordered a RCR GT40 last week and I am confident that I made a wise decision. Now all I have to do is build my RCR GT40 to the high standards set by some of the members on this forum! After talking with Fran I decided to order a new ZF transmission since it just naturally belongs with the GT40. I am looking at several different engine options but I am leaning toward a 3.5" stroked aluminum Dart block fed by 48mm IDA's since I like higher revs with about 550hp and 500tq in a GT40.

During the time that I was in Houston I restored and built a few cars. I restored a 1970 383 'cuda (numbers matching) that was plum crazy purple with a white interior and a white vinyl top, it was a great car to drive. I also modified a 1977 280Z into a G-nose ISMA wide body LS3 powered weekend toy. The LS3 is fed by a Harrop Hurricane cross ram manifold with (8) 58mm throttle bodies (from Australia). Nice article with build history here: Rick's Masterpiece - LS3 Swapped 1977 Datsun 280Z - The Modified Lifestyle | Revvolution

I am looking forward to reconnecting with some of the most talented great group of guys on the planet!

Rick,
Welcome back! Very impressive work on the Z. Do you still have the car?
I'm in Houston from time to time and would love the opportunity to see it in person.
John

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Thank you, I sold it before going to Mexico but the car is in Houston and is owned by a friend of mine so a showing could be arranged. BTW he is also building a '77 280Z with the same drive train (engine, intake, trans and rear end) that my Z had but he is keeping the body fairly stock.

At 10 years old, I learned how to drive stick in my brothers 1970 Cuda in a department store parking lot. That pistol grip shifter was so cool.

D. Nye

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome back Rick! Hope we can meet up in the Houston area. There is getting to be a lot of GT40 owners in Houston. I'm building a RCR Mk IV and still waiting for that ZF.

Don

Hi Rick. I am up on Lake Conroe and my RCR40 should be delivered around April. The last Vintage race at Texas World Speedway, College Station, is Feb. 20-22 (they are tearing it down). There will be a bunch of early Zs there along with other great vintage cars racing their 2.9 mile circuit.

Rick,
Welcome back to the fold. Looking forward to your build. I enjoyed your build of the first GT 40 and used a lot for ideas I had. I'm afraid that is what will happen to me when I retire, whenever that is!! If ever in the Atlanta area please give me a call. Would love to get together.

Bill

Rick, welcome back. I am really glad to hear you are getting back into a GT40. I remember how enthused you were after your trip to Road America in your GTD. Be sure and keep track of Howard as he may end up as a neighbor.

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Randy, Thanks, it's good to be back.

Mike, I have owned a few 'cudas... They have all been cool cars to drive.

D. Nye, Thanks, I agree... You are only 20 minutes from me (I am by lake Houston). My GT40 and ZF should both arrive sometime in May.

Scott, Sounds like our builds will be happening at about the same time... We will have to share notes as multiple heads are better than one.

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Rick,
Welcome back to the fold. Looking forward to your build. I enjoyed your build of the first GT 40 and used a lot for ideas I had. I'm afraid that is what will happen to me when I retire, whenever that is!! If ever in the Atlanta area please give me a call. Would love to get together.

Bill

Thanks, Bill, It is good to be back! I don't think that I will even try to retire again until I am 70 or older. I like being in Houston because it is centrally located which means that I can go East or West to visit friends and tracks without having to travel for 3 days.

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Rick, welcome back. I am really glad to hear you are getting back into a GT40. I remember how enthused you were after your trip to Road America in your GTD. Be sure and keep track of Howard as he may end up as a neighbor.

Thanks, good to be back! Of all the cars that I have owned I miss my GTD 40 the most of all. Road America is a great track and I hope to run it a few more times in the RCR GT40. Now that I am in Houston I will try to make it out to your neck of the woods and get on some of the tracks in your area. I will keep a look out for Howard, the more the better!

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Rick,

Is that really you! I know it's been a year since you've been in Texas but just today I read a post of yours on another thread and saw your name and I about fell over......is that "the" Rick Merz? "Wow, he's back!!" I said to myself. Boy, we really missed you here when you left to persue other life goals. Wonderful to have you back.

You may not remember me but at the time when you were getting ready to leave the country I flew out from Californication to meet you and look at that beautiful red GTD you were selling. To this day I still regret not buying that beast. I still have the Tornado I had back then and recently added an SPF.

So glad to hear your building another '40, an RCR no less (you might already be done!), your input on this forum was always an informative and welome read so I for one will be looking forward to reading them again and talking with you:thumbsup:

For you guys that don't know Rick, your in for a treat, he's a great guy.

Tim

Welcome back Rick. You mean shiny 48 IDAs on a Dart block like these?

Attachments

• 43.jpg
    43.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 264
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 226
Sorry for the thread drift here.
Grady......You really aren't leaving that fuel line where it is in the pic....... are you?? Looks like it's almost touching that exhaust pipe

Bill

Sorry for the thread drift here.
Grady......You really aren't leaving that fuel line where it is in the pic....... are you?? Looks like it's almost touching that exhaust pipe

Bill

It isn't where I want it either, but that is where Weber crosses over to the other bank. I placed a section of reflective glass lined insulation around the line last night. I think it will end up a hard line with two 90 degree bends and insulated when finished. It is a work in process and scheduled to go to Olthoff's next week for a good look over and tweaking. Then to the paint shop for a total repaint to a different color. A fire suppression system, etc.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Invert the fuel lines to the front of the motor.....Olthoff did this one:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 243
Grady,
Consider putting an insulated piece of aluminum that angles down from the rear of the tray that when the rear clip is closed it is between the fuel line and the exhaust. I am working on a solution to the hot air to the injectors. It involves Lexan and I want the high heat from an exhaust pipe that sticks up near the tray to not cause it to warp. I have already had to deal with paint blistering in that area. A second reason for a shield and insulation. This will end my drift from the original topic.

Bill

Rick, welcome back! I know the feeling - I sold my CAV a couple years ago to put a family friendly cruiser in the (limited) garage space (RR corniche) and have been missing the GT40 since. I also tried retiring a few years back...like you...and found it's more enjoyable to be working and engaged/involved with people. Good luck with the RCR project, you're going to have a great time!

Ron Earp

Admin
Welcome back Rick! Sounds like you've had an interesting time while you've been away. Thanks so much for that great Ford gift you gave me before you left. The Lightning served very well and after 140k it is living with a second owner, a professional IPSC shooter, who pampers it. I have first dibs to buy it back if he decides to sell it on. Hope you have a great time with the GT40!

Back