Goodwood Report

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
A mate of mine is a motor racing photographer & journalist (with a delightful sense of humour), & has been trekking to Goodwood for years. He always sends a few stories to friends & I thought you might enjoy his "before & after" reports of the recent event :

No 1 - Anticipation :

PREPARING FOR PARADISE.
OR
THE TERRIFYING TAILS OF THE (IN)TREPID TRAVELLER.

Evenin all, it’s gloat mail time again.
Sam has once again buggered off to blighty and is preparing, as we speak,
so to speak, to enter heaven & worship at the feet of his (mine) Gods at
Goodwood. As is usually the case the story begins well before departure and is filled with excitement, near misses, non misses and mirth.

As is always the case, the moment I purchased the airline tickets, planes
began to drop with monotonous regularity from the place where they are
supposed to be (ie; above the ground) to where they are most assuredly not. (ie; on, or in some parts, below the ground).

The actual day I was to go and pick up the tickets from the travel agent (Hi Georgie, love your work – more of that later) I bounded from bed with a glad cry, actually more of a scream of agony – nasty cramp in calf, but I
digress, and staggered into the bathroom to have a shower. As is my way I bung on the radio to catch the news of the day & what is the very first
subject reported? Airline crash in the Ukraine. If Osama could bring down as many aircraft with such certainty as I seem to be able to do the travel
industry would grind to a halt in weeks. No point buggering about with
explosives, just get Sam to buy an airline ticket. Don’t even have to use
it. Like last year, bought a ticket, planes crashed ( about 5 in 3 weeks)
Ross tried to kill himself, hot water system committed suicide, so did cars
water pump, didn’t get on plane. Foolproof. Good thing is, at least for me
anyway, not quite so good for those flying before me, is that it all comes
to a halt as soon as I actually get onto the pane.

As usual subscribers will know, there is usually a series of unfortunate
events that occur prior to my departure. It is as if the travel gods must
test my mettle every time to ascertain whether I am worthy of relocation.
The first such event came on the Tuesday, just seven days before taking
flight, when I was in the middle of at least a five car pile-up on the
freeway going to work. ( I am aware that some of you already know this part of the story but others don’t so you will just have to scroll down a bit and stop bitching! God some of you people are impatient.) I was in the process of changing lanes to overtake when everyone in front of me decided to stop for some reason. A reason that will not become apparent. The ute to my front right could not decide quite which direction was going to cause the most carnage and after several changes of mind, sideswiped the car to my front left sending it into the rock wall, changed his mind again and drove head first into the wall on his right. Several cars behind me decided that imitation was indeed the sincerest for of flattery and executed the exactly same maneuver. Me? Well straight up the bloody middle of course. Came out without a scratch. Bit of weaving involved, but that’s only to be expected.

Crap flying everywhere, didn’t hit a thing that I know of. Out the other
side of this carambolage to………nothing. No traffic, no cars, no, well,
nothing. No bloody explanation at all. Should have known that this was a
forewarning of doom to come.

Wednesday, nothing. Thursday, went to get some milk in the morning. On the drive back, heading into such blinding sun that the car in front of me drove straight into the gutter & took off both left hand hubcaps. Me being the silly bugger I am, has a chuckle all the way home, not thinking that karma lay in wait. Two near misses were not going to go unpaid for. Reversed down driveway. Muffler hanging a bit too low. Catches on lip of concrete at the front of garage and tears out the entire exhaust system. Yeah, yeah, very bloody funny Hughie! Was going to put the car into the mechanics on Monday morning anyway for (yep, you guessed it) replacing the exhaust manifold which had a hole in it. Only needed the bloody thing to last another five sodding days. Instead, hire car, $300 down the drain. Still, that fact that just the previous weekend I had been sold an identical BMW 520i for $300 to use as spares on wheels means that the parts will be cheap. Ah well, what goes around, comes around. And smacks you in the back of the fucking head with a sledgehammer.

Arrived at the airport well ahead of time, had a drinkie with Toni,
re-arranged my camera gear & luggage as per new security regs, attempted to use my frequent flyer points to get an upgrade to business class but was turned down, checked in & meandered through to the duty free claims desk. (Had to claim the duty on the monster lens). For those of you that worked at Vendor this will be interesting, for those of you who didn’t, well, just deal with it. Wandered up to the girl at the desk to ask if I was in the right place when she took me by surprise. "Don’t you recognize me?" Errr, nope. Stare at her right tit ( that was where her ID tag was). Bugger me, Rowena Dagelet working for customs. Small world. Spent a bit of time catching up & sauntered off to the Qantas Club for a free drinkie. Got said drinkie & settled down for the long wait until the flight was called. Didn’t realize just how long all this had taken & had to scull said drinkie & do the bolt. Got to the gate & handed over boarding pass and was asked to go to other desk as the boarding pass had to be changed. Machine that printed boarding passes was on the fritz. Waited, waited, waited some more and then waited again. Finally the machine was coaxed into life & it spits out my new pass.

WooHoo… free upgrade to business class all the way over to London. Silly
buggers gave me for free what I had offered to use my frequent flyer points on. Champagne on boarding, Glenlivett single malt scotch, cognac in the coffee, Mr Snape this and Mr Snape that (the hosties have to remember all your names), decent food, a seat you can actually lie down & get some sleep in and express immigration checking at Heathrow. Damn, one could get used to this. Seems that some Qantas Club members had been upgraded as they had oversold the cattle class. As the difference between cattle & bus class is usually about $5000, the $3000 I spent on that life time membership just paid for itself. The free booze in the lounges are from here on in just one big bloody bonus.

Arrived & picked up a rather sporty VW Golf GTi (Nice pair of upgrades
Georgina, thanks babe) with so many electronic do-dads it has taken two days to figure out how to get the boot to open. Still, the sports option
sequential gearbox has been fun to test out. Absolute fang machine. Only
thing so far (apart from the boot issue) is an alarming lack of grunt in
first gear if you are going through a round-about after cruising along for a
while. Seems to need to reconsider if it will actually have any power at
all. First time I thought it had stalled but then in came the power. Best
way to describe it is like a sort of evil turbo lag on a non turbo car.
Weird. Still you do get used to it after a while.

Drove down to Dorchester & booked into a quite ples B&B for the night.
Thought I would go back to the Bovington Tank Museum. Shit! School holidays & ten million brats. Damned place was packed. Went back to town, had a cream tea and went to the pub for a pint of bitter or two. Contrary to all conventional wisdom there are some good restaurants in England. Just not English ones. Had a very good Chinese feed, went back to the digs and crashed at about 8;30. Fifty odd hours on the go will do that for you. Damned fine breakie & off again.

Went to see the ancient "White Horse" on the hill. Followed a builder’s
truck owned by the comfortingly named Crumbleholme Ltd. Passed through the pretty little town of Poxwell. Glad to know they got over it. Not a very
sporting mob though, had signs advising of slow pedestrians. Much more of a challenge to nail the quick ones. Note to self, very disappointing result,
must try harder.

Back to Bovington, no brats, had good look around and hit the road again.
Checked into the regular digs at Emsworth, had a glass or two (well three to be precise) of red while writing this tosh, downloaded 90 odd pics from the camera to the laptop and will now settle down to await my entry to paradise on Friday. Thank Christ for the pommies, for only they could have come up with the Goodwood Revival meeting.

FUSB

Sam Snape
[email protected]

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Next Installment :

No. 2 BANTER FROM A BOEING

(INCLUDES “CHATTING OVER CHAMPAGNE AT CHANGI” AND “WAISTED IN WYOMING”)

Mostly because I couldn’t finish this rubbish at either of the first two locations. (The Boeing & Changi)

When I left off on the last missive I was about to enter paradise at Goodwood. Well entered I did on Friday with (hopefully) trusty new camera on hand. Finally got around to upgrading to digital SLR for a bloody fortune, but there you go, had to be done. Cut through the road that advised “No Access To Goodwood Revival” simply because I know from earlier trips that you can easily access the Goodwood Revival via that road. Cops in good humour, hadn’t started raining yet. Wandered in & picked up press kit, which gets better every time and press lunch voucher. Hadn’t used one of these previously as was always off doing something else at that time of day and wouldn’t get to do so until Saturday either. Note to self. ERROR. You should see the grub that is laid on for us skuzzy press types. GEEEZZZ. Full 5 course meal. Soup of the day (carrot and coriander, sounds weird but damn fine), entrée (prawns in garlic butter sauce) Main (roast pork with veg), desert (strawberries & cream – there were cakes etc but with my diabetes thing best to avoid them) and selection of cheeses. And FREE booze. Could take away a bottle of good Penfolds shiraz (they were a sponsor of the event) for nothing. Nada. Zip. WoooHooo!!! Needless to say, I did. Num Num. Never really understood why strawberries & cream was supposed to be that brilliant. I mean, they are OK but a bit overrated, right? Well perhaps with Australian Strawberries or the other imported shit we get in Oz but in England, OH MY GOD! Completely different fruit. Maybe we just pick ours way too early or don’t let them ripen on the vine properly or something, but these were from another planet. Unbelievable. Needless to say I returned for a nosh on Sunday. One could get used to this.
Loony outfit this year (still included the kilt of course) was not of country gentleman but of NSW Scottish Brigade including military style shirt, full ammunition webbing & back-pack and of course, correct beret with Pom-pom included. Staff in March enclosure said I looked magnificent. Best they had seen yet. “So I don’t look like a complete prat then?” was my response. But no, they seemed quite genuine. Had quite a few people taking photos of me so either it was a good get-up or I did look like a complete prat. Perhaps both. Who knows? Who cares?. Get up was good for having a bit of fun. At one point there was a break in proceedings as the marshals cleaned up yet another of McLaren F1 designers Adrian Newey’s mangled cars (wrote off a GT40 at Le Mans earlier this year and totaled a lightweight E-Type Jaguar – one of just 3 ever built) on his first out lap in practice here. Gee, wonder what he is going to do with all those Red Bull dollars he will get next year. May just pay for this years bills, but I digress. At one point there was a break in proceedings (or did I already say that) and the Irish Road Workers (part of the event staff) decided to set up in the Parc Ferme’ & have a cup of tea & a game of cricket. First got Jochen Mass (winner of 1975 Spanish GP) to bat. As a cricketer, Jochen makes a damn fine F1 driver. (See attached pic of truly lousy shot). Then, as I looked like a complete idiot (and would be good for someone else’s photos) they requested me up next. Unknown to them, I can actually play the game. First delivery, just pitched outside leg and with a beautiful flick of the wrists I played a top-class leg glance and the ball made a wonderful sound as it crashed into (unfortunately not the picket fence but….) the side of a very rare Maserati 300S sportscar. Good thing it was just a red tennis ball and not something harder. Also had some fun on Sunday morning with said road crew & other press photographers when one of the crew made a disparaging comment re the kilt. Walked up behind him & bunged the front of the kilt over his head & shouted “Now you know!” Howls of laughter from assembled press. Quick comeback though, which should always be applauded, “He needs to squat to pee.” More jocularity.
Racing was great as usual (for those who care, copy of report that I have submitted to Aust Classic Car Mag attached) and as always rounded off by the girlies handing out the free Verve Cliquot on Sunday evening. Could get very, very used to this. However, you should not get the impression that this life is one of complete glamour. Cold, wet & windy on the Saturday so there was plenty of kneeling in mud and getting totally soaked going on. The Monday was spent in the dining room of my hotel doing nothing for about 8 hours but touching up photos on my lap-top. That got about half of them done, the rest were finished at Heathrow on Wednesday. Meeting report written at Changi airport, admittedly while drinking French Champagne in the Qantas Club lounge, but still. Was going to try to write it on the plane but the bastard in front who put his seat all the way back put paid to that. Got it finished & emailed off on Friday when I got back & then opened up Autosport’s web-site to read about the death of Peter Brock. Bugger.
Had only been talking to him on the Saturday regarding the Holden FX he was running in the St Mary’s Trophy race & the oil pressure problem that put him out of the second heat. He had probably told the same story to ten thousand press folk before I showed up but was quite happy to go over it again. Just after I finished talking to him an English fan turned up and asked me if I thought that Brockie would sign a little tee-shirt he had as he wanted to give it to his son who was terminally ill with cancer. Took him over & introduced him and was vastly impressed when Brock asked everyone to leave, took the bloke to the back of his pit bay & sat down and chatted with the guy for about 5 minutes before signing the shirt. In his very last circuit racing appearance he was awarded the “Spirit of Goodwood” award for his performances, not only on the track but off it as well. We really did loose a class act.
After the tedium of photoshop on Monday, ventured north via a long circuitous route (its fun when you have no set plan & the biggest decision of the day is “which way should I turn at this intersection”, never know what you will find). Found the remains of a Roman Villa at a little place called Rignor that had some beautiful frescos. (Frescos are, for those wot don’t know) floor designs & pictures made from coloured stones or marble. The ones in this place, including a full Medusa’s head, are just stunning. Ended up at a little town called East Horsley which is quite ples and stayed in the Duke of Wellington pub. Wouldn’t normally mention this except the rooms in this pub were quite luxurious. Except for the shower, which had just two settings, freezing bloody cold and murderously bloody hot? That was fun.
Last day went for another drive while heading in the general direction of Heathrow. Passed through Bletchley and decided to see if there was something to see at Bletchley Park (where the British intelligence folk deciphered the German Enigma machine during WW2). Zippo, squat and diddeley. Odd, seeing as how it was so important and they still make films about it. Oh well, not far from Biggin Hill, the most famous fighter airfield during the Battle of Britain. Surely there is something there to have a gander at. WOW! Zippo, squat and diddeley. There are some days where just nothing goes right. Ah well got to Heathrow, got through the check in crap that is all the rage now and went and had a big free drink. (Qantas Club lounge again, told you this had paid for itself) Guzzled red wine & Glenlivett (this seems to be the scotch of choice in these lounges), fiddled with photoshop and started this twaddle.
One last funny, if you thought that Poxwell had an amusing name, how would you like to live in Pratt’s Bottom?
No upgrade, so way too long in cattle class on the way back, although the company was quite pleasant (Pretty 22 Y/O blonde who was scared of flying – and ain’t I just the type to calm her down? No? Swine!). 2 fucking hours getting out of customs at Sydney who X-rayed everybody’s bags AFTER opening them. Something just a little back to front there. The duty on one bottle of scotch (had one too many) was $107. FUCK!!! More than the bottle actually cost. As I had 2 hours to kill while waiting for this little gem, should have just drunk the bloody thing & saved the money. Mind you, even for me, a litre of scotch in 2 hours may have had unpleasant side effects. Perhaps.
Got home, picked up the car, which sounded nice and quiet after having an exhaust system refitted. Only lasted a few hours before the muffler detached itself from the exhaust pipe however so sounds a bit like a V8 at the moment.
Well that’s about it. So, until next time……………..

FUSB

Sam Snape
[email protected]

Peter,

nice write-up, thanks for sharing with us.
Sam certainly has a sense of humour, and writes a good yarn ;)

Cheers,
John.

Back