GT40 Enthusiasts Group - value to USA member

PaulProe

Supporter
I am curious about the value of the GT40 Enthusiasts Group to someone residing in the USA. My interests are focused on the history and technical aspects of the car. Social events and driving in Great Britain, while interesting, do not fill my cup.

Is my $50 annual investment of value? I post it here, hoping for unbiased opinions of other users/members similar to my situation. I don't mind spending the money if there is some return of value to me

Thanks, in advance

Paul

Bill Kearley

Supporter
If you refer this site as a group of GT40 enthusiasts, your right. This site has HUGE value to people all over the world. If you don't find value here you won't find it anywhere. No one can fill your half empty cup!

Doug Dyar

Supporter
Paul

I am a member of this UK-based group, yet I live in the Colonies. I see lots of value in the experiences and expertise on these cars held by the members of the forum. Whether you're building a car, driving and enjoying one, or just interested in these world champions, there are lots of knowledgeable enthusiasts clustered there.

I wish we had as active a group here in the US. I've never even heard of any activities being held here like those hosted in the UK and the rest of Europe. They constantly seem to be going as a group to open track weekends, vintage races, car shows, group displays, etc. We have held a few GT40-specific events over the years, mostly in conjunction with some anniversary or other. But nothing steady or recurring.

Of course their magazine is worth the $50 all by itself.

Maybe the solution is a US-based regional group or groups of the same club that focuses on events in the US for owners to enjoy. I, for one, would like to be involved in such an endeavour. I have a resume that includes planning and hosting open track weekends and car shows, and a willingness to work on it. Anyone else think this would be a good idea?

Doug

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
In my opinion worth every penny, even if you only get the 4 magazines!

Doug you are way ahead of me in organisation skills. But.... I wanted to drive the Le Mans track, so back in 2008 and 2009 I worked on the Le Mans Classic organisers and in 2010 I pulled it off and organised the first ever 1/2 hour unlimited speed event for the club and got 85 Replicas and 2005/6 GT cars on fully marshalled track for a session dusk to night. £200 each for the session which all went to track organisers. Along with Pantera andhistoric Lamborghini making 115 cars in total round the 8 mile track so not crowded. Back then the subscription was£30 and I had Porsche, Ferrari etc drivers offering £1000 premium to come play! Event organisers said no.

so how much is an event like this worth to GT40 enthusiasts?

once someone starts the momentum others will follow and join in!

How about organising an event and see who turns up! And if you need assistance the club has experience.

ian

Dave Collins

Supporter
Hi Paul

I have responded to the email that you sent me with some information on the club. Please let me know if you have any further questions following it's arrival.

Dave

Mike Pass

Supporter
As with many things what you get out of something depends on what you put into it. In the UK we have a lot of area based groups that meet up regularly once a month and an area organiser. When the NW group started there were two of us and one car. Now we have 20 -30 people and 12 cars. We try to do events such as the Silverstone Classic, Manx Classic, Donington Park, Oulton Park Gold Cup, local car shows. I have pics from dozens of different events. The club organise the Le Mans Classic with dinner at the Hotel De France with guest speaker. We have a NW Christmas lunch etc. etc. All these things need organising and people turning out with the cars.
Here is a video of many UK club members going out onto the track at the Le Mans Classic. I am at 1.04mins with three NW members in front.
There must be parts of the USA with a group of owners who could get together and form a pocket of GT40 activities and who could go to local events and race meetings etc. Once something is there it creates interest and people come along and join up.
Cheers
Mike

Back