GT40 Exhaust Options...ideas anyone?

Well, I haven't given in yet (see my other posts), but I'm considering my options.

I'm wondering if its possible (even without the rear clamshell) to invert and reverse a set of shorty headers (ala drag boats) to creat a "cheap" exhaust system for my SPF? Anyone tried this before?

I'm about to buy a 1965 date coded 289 motor that may or may not find it's way into my Gt. Since my current motor is a 351, the exhaust won't fit, I'm told.

Another thing I'm wondering is, would it be possible to put a set of "spacers" between the 289 heads and my current 351 exhaust...I'm not looking for performance or longevity. How much wider is the 351, .125 or .250 inches? Could I just stick an unused header flange in there with some gaskets?

Just considering my options, that's all.

BTW, anyone have a bundle of snakes exhaust for a 289/302 that they'd let go cheaply? If so, PM me.

Thanks!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Ron, besides the two engines taking different flywheels, harmonic balancer pulleys and oil pans which you'll need to accommodate, the 351w is 2-1/4" wider than the 302. The spacers you'd need would have to be 1-1/8" thick to make up the difference. I have a set of intake spacers that allow a 302 intake to be used on a 351w and they are pretty darned thick chunks of aluminum.
Not saying it can't be done though..
With the notion of running the headers inverted, you may be able to do it, but would think that you would need to be very careful on the distance to the rear clamshell and clearance from the upper rear lateral suspension arms.

Randy,

Thanks, thought the pan and flywheed would bolt up. Not too worried about the flywheel, but may need to do something with the pully and water pump.

I didn't realize that the 351 was that much wider.

For reasons I'll PM you about, I'm not too worried about the clamshell.

Ron

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I just realized that I read 289 and thought 302.. The flywheels will most likely interchange with no issues since both would be a 28oz imbalance.

Back