GT40 Mk1 body alignment procedure

I remember reading someone's very detailed procedure of what they did to align the body panels on their build. Of course, I can't find it now. Do you guys have any preferred methods or can point me in the right direction?

Bill,
There are many threads in the builders section with that info. I would suggest "Toms RCR 40 Trackracer." He took a lot of time and measurements to line things up with a lot of good pictures. Have fun, Scott

Mike Pass

Supporter
I would suggest that prior to aligning the body that the chassis is centrelined and the suspension be fully set up so that the distance of the wheels from the centre line is equal at the front and at the rear. So when the body is placed on the chassis it can be referenced to the final correct wheel location. The castor, camber and toe in must be to final correct settings or you will not have fixed locations to set the body to. To check the body position use small weights on lengths of fine thread to drop vertical lines down from the body to the wheel locations. In this way you can accurately check the relative locations of wheels and body.
To set the body you can bolt all the body into one piece with brackets setting up the gaps at the same time. Then drop the whole body on and shuffle until the body is centred on the chassis. Then bolt it down in that position. This method sets the gaps before you start but needs a lot of people and care to not damage the relatively floppy body.
The method I would use is get the central section (the spider) in pretty much the correct place and the bolt it down: do not use clamps as they will move enough to drive you nuts. Bolt it down hard. Then fit the front clip in the correct place relative to the spider. Clamp it and check the fit relative the the chassis and suspension by dropping verticals using the weighted strings. Make a note of the measurements. Repeat for the rear clip. You will now know how it all sits with the spider in the initial position and which way the front and rear clips will need to move the be in a centred position. Then unbolt the spider and move the front and rear to positions which will be nearer the correct place and bolt it down again. The spider bolt holes or slots may need to be moved so the spider is lozenged or stretched on one side or shortened etc. Only one bolt or all the bolts may need moving and they may need to go in different directions. Then refit the front and rear clips and recheck for side to side and front rear alignment. The spider may also need a bit of cutting or packing up to get a better alignment height wise.
Repeat this process until the location is as good as can be achieved without cutting or adding to the panels. Final fit can then be made spot on by fibreglass and filler work to get the final fit you want.
A careful and logical approach will do the trick. How long it takes will depend on the body quality and how well you work and the quality of the help you will need to have to keep lifting the panels on and off many times. Some bodies go on quite easily in a few hours and some bad ones can take days and even need some serious cutting and shutting to get correct. I have seen a Mk2 body that had to be cut into several pieces to get a good fit.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Mike

Great summary of fitment, Mike. It helps to see a bunch of common sense all in one place rather than piecing together lessons learned spread across 4 pages of each build thread.

Back