Gt40 poor mans version.

I got home from working pipeline today and was told as I pulled into the driveway that I owned a new car. I dont know the year but this is the car .I know other members that have these. 500$ canadian. Kinda neat car .

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 326
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 304
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 313
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 280
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 319
Lotus Europa's have a cool shape, and the correct mid-engine layout. You get a bit tired of the lack of niceties and propping the engine cover up with a broom, etc. Although they do have electric windows, and ventilation using the front luggage space as a plenum. Ross Nichol on this forum has a racing one with a large engine fitted. He is pleased with his, I think. The Europa's, like most Lotii, follow Chapman's philosophy in pursuing lightness "If it doesn't break, you've over-engineered it". But I still like them.

My 2c worth

A guy near me that does sports car salvage has two of those on his building's roof for decoration. A little paint and some elbow grease you will have a fun car.
Congrats Dave

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Great buy! I like all cars and in their day these cars where very exotic for the street. Turned a lot of heads. Have fun!

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
That is a very good price even if the car needs work (they ALL do). It appears someone has made some mods to the car - not unusual. The pods on the front indicate S-2 but the door handles have been changed. S-1's had push buttons and a recess in the body instead of handles. I don't think S-1's had electric windows - they were fixed in place if I recall correctly. The disadvantage of an S-1 was the body was bonded to/around the chassis making chassis restoration a challenge. Europas are good candidates for engine/transaxle swaps if you want more power than the little Renault engine can provide (about 80 hp). There is a YaHoo group that has a ton of great information and a lot of technical experts on these cars.

Have fun with your project!

Dave L
1973 Lotus Europa TCS/4AGE-20V/NG-3 conversion

Mike Pass

Supporter
There was a Lotus Europa at the NEC Classic car show last year. It was a JPS livery car and had been fitted with a 310hp 2l. Ford Duratec motor which are all alloy and sound really nice. In such a light car it should go very well and stop well with AP 4 pot brakes and give a few moderns a good fright. I will try to find the pic of the car.
John Wisher used to have a V8 powered Europa which was extremely quick and looked mean with huge arches etc.
Cheers
Mike

I still have an original workshop manual somewhere, rare as hens teeth but willing to give it to an owner of one of these cars, Frank

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
There is a real connection of Europa to GT40, the Europa was the end result of the proposal Chapman gave to Ford to build a "LeMans" car before Ford settled on Eric Broadley. Ford wisely decided that they would not be able to control nor direct Chapman.......they found out that Eric was not much different!!!!

Back