send info to [email protected]
I am interested in a

Lamborghini Diablo Replica (no fiero)
GT40 Replica
Lola T70
RCR superlite coupe
Ultima GTR
something interesting or unusual.

bonus = well fitting body panels, excellent paint and a color I like and the more authentic the better, except for looking 50 years old and beat up. Ford small block Audi 01E 6spd or better transmission. Any safety features such as enhanced roll cage, fire suppression, etc. California Sb100 is a bonus.

negative = Audi 016 transmission(pinion bearing disc item), not running, body panel stress cracks. Unregistered or registration problems

budget is $35,000 to $75,000 depending on quality of build and many factors.
but I'm a fair guy in this buyers market and not looking to screw anyone. I am NOT a dealer this is for my personal car to drive. I'm retired. I know my collector cars having been an investor/partner in a medium sized collector car sales business in Santa Monica, CA so I know what I'm looking at and I know what custom and collector cars are selling for.

I was about to buy a Lamborghini Diablo VT replica built in a similar construction to a GT40 replica. I had posted some question here and everyone was very helpful. I ended up walking away from the deal for several reasons. For some reason I do not have permissions to post in for sale so I suppose this is as good a place.

Edward

Last edited:
Re: Wanted: Gt40 replica

Actually it's not. The correct place to post this is GT40 Wanted - Parts or Services Needed - GT40s.com

I thought of it and I strongly believe that wanted parts is the wrong audience.
Example: perhaps someone selling a car does not have parts for sale, thus never trafficking that section.
I doubt many would argue that the forum user mechanics and organization has room for improvement. The moderator can move it if its obstructive. I did the best i could with the resources given.

Ooo I see you have to be a Premium Member to post in "For Sale" and that requires monetary contribution. I didn't know that. That's probably what I should have done.
Explains why it wouldn't work posting there.
*Moderator-please delete this whole thread, wrong spot- :)

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

Ooo I see you have to be a Premium Member to post in "For Sale" and that requires monetary contribution. I didn't know that. That's probably what I should have done.
Explains why it wouldn't work posting there.
*Moderator-please delete this whole thread, wrong spot- :)

Also, it appears to me you are buying, not selling.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

I thought of it and I strongly believe that wanted parts is the wrong audience.
Example: perhaps someone selling a car does not have parts for sale, thus never trafficking that section.
I doubt many would argue that the forum user mechanics and organization has room for improvement. The moderator can move it if its obstructive. I did the best i could with the resources given.

I think you are misinterpreting the forum title, although it is not correctly punctuated. It should be read as:

"GT40s Wanted, and Parts or Services Needed"

For anyone curious about market prices check this out,
if you are shopping for a replica, not perfect but a good resource.
Used Cars Prices - 1965 Replica/Kit Makes

it shows the PRICE the last 50 or so replicas sold on ebay, some are GT40s
currently there arent any in the system that I see, but it updates constantly
too bad you cant specifically search for GT40s

A guy asking $75,000 sold his Daytona a coupe for $44,000 on Ebay this month.
It's good to know these things when you see some high asking prices.
Some people are not realistic about the value of their cars,
I've seen it for years as a dealer of collector cars, even before the economic crisis.

Last edited:

I agree with that, the software is rather primitive and does not feature a search capability for "GT40" so the search appears to grab even the nasty replicas. If 5 GT40s sold recently they would be on that site, http://www.usedcarsfsbo.com/asp/UsedCarsPrices.asp?submitFlag=1&make=Replica%2FKit+Makes&model=Any&year=1965&submit1=Searchit updates constantly.

I've also seen a 1st place show quality Superperformance MkII sell for, if I recall correctly, $225,000 cash last year. So I would agree the GT40 market remains immune to many fluctuations that collector cars and other more popular replicas experience, yet not immune to some things as well.

Still I was surprised what $25,000 can buy as far as a Cobra kit. $50k can get you a dream machine. Also, I'm not sure if there is much merit to this, but Cobra kits look like death traps to me. GT40s, if built properly should have a cage support good enough to race on a Sunday at the track. At least a headrest support. You probably want to wear a helmet so your skull doesn't bounce off the roof and window sills.

I've ridden motorcycles for 15 years and I feel safer on a bike than in a Cobra but that's just me and my personal weirdness.

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

I've also seen a 1st place show quality Superperformance MkII sell for, if I recall correctly, $225,000 cash last year. .

If that's right that's an anomaly, since you can build a brand new one for a little more than half that number. However, as the man said, there's a sucker born every minute. Maybe
that was a rich and very impatient sucker.

GT40s, if built properly should have a cage support good enough to race on a Sunday at the track. .

Maybe they should, but they don't. Not even the originals did. It wasn't until ~67 or so that anyone put a roll cage in a GT40. And many of the kits don't even have a metal roof. So I don't buy that relatively speaking a Cobra is a death trap. If anything it's the other way around. And I certainly don't feel or think that I am safer on a motorcycle than a Cobra, but that's way off topic.

Last edited:

That's highly presumptuous about a car that can be crafted any way the craftsman chooses.

This particular car, if I recall correctly, it was over a year ago.
It had a custom engineered Ricardo transaxle and a highly modified supercharged Ford Racing MRGT ford race engine which costs about $60,000 straight from Ford factory. Then he twin turbo charged it instead of supercharged like the Ford GT, which has the same engine. I think it was "undergroundracing" that did his custom turbo set up. It might be on google somewhere if you search around. I searched and found this.

I'm fairly sure this ISNT the car I'm talking about, but it was a similar construction.
http://youtu.be/tHgu9q7uD5M it says it's a 427, which is clearly no the Ford MRGT motor.

It costs around $275,000 to build. Just the drivetrain is worth more than most GT40 replicas. I remember that most of the body is carbon fiber and aluminum not fiberglass. Also I know for a fact after the purchase I saw the buyer was registered in Dubai, so he was probably rich, but I wouldn't call him a sucker.

If that's right that's an anomaly, since you can build a brand new one for a little more than half that number. However, as the man said, there's a sucker born every minute. Maybe
that was a rich and very impatient sucker.

Maybe they should, but they don't. Not even the originals did. It wasn't until ~67 or so that anyone put a roll cage in a GT40. And many of the kits don't even have a metal roof. So I don't buy that relatively speaking a Cobra is a death trap. If anything it's the other way around. And I certainly don't feel or think that I am safer on a motorcycle than a Cobra, but that's way off topic.

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

That's highly presumptuous about a car that can be crafted any way the craftsman chooses.

A Superformance GT40 is not a kit and it's no more "craftable" than any other car. The car you describe meets the very definition of the word "anomaly." So what specifically is "presumptuous" about what I said?

...1st place show quality Superperformance MkII sell for... $225,000 cash last year. So I would agree the GT40 market remains immune to many fluctuations that collector cars and other more popular replicas experience, yet not immune to some things as well.

You can take any car, throw money at it and then persuade someone to buy it at a corresponding price. So what? How does that individual car's history say anything useful about the GT40 market in general?

Independent of that, what makes you think GT40s are immune to any collector car market motions? Have you looked at Superformance sales now compared to 2007? Have you talked to any of the kit manufacturers? Have you watched GT40 sales over the last few years?

And by the way no one said anything about market immunity, so with whom are you agreeing?

The youtube video is of a car that is notorious on these pages; it's an equally gross mis-use a Superformance chassis; the engiine is a Chevy. Until recently the car was on ebay for an ever-declining price, last I recall around $80K. You should buy it.

Last edited:

You said "sucker" I said he wasn't a sucker. that's what I was clearing up. That was what is presumptuous in my statement. In my opinion. I think he got a good deal.

-You are talking to someone who has bought and sold millions of dollars worth of collector cars in a 14 year and 9 month period as a partner in classic car sales. Chill with the hostility. I know what I'm talking about and I've been submerged in the Replica community and attended nearly every Knotts Berry Farm show, before it was cancelled, relocated, extinct. I've bought about a dozen or so Show Car quality replicas. Mostly Cobras. I admit I have never owned a GT40, but I have driven them at Replica Track days. I attended about 10-25 auctions a year and watch Ebay constantly. I have been retired from dealing for years, but I still keep up. I have also been a member on this site for a while and read just about every post (I had surgery recently and had recovery time to read a lot).

My point of immunity is simple. I have seen Classic Muscle cars higher than ever.
Not as many sales changing hands, but appraisals for first generation Camaros are through the roof. Same for all Iconic Muscle cars. I'll post a few links.

My years of experience, and professional opinion I think people are grabbing on to classic cars, and classic style cars because they sense CARS 2.0 coming.
in less than a decade production cars will be driving themselves and mostly crash proof, park themselves and communicate with cloud servers. People are going to have a few drinks and let the car drive them home after work. It will get 300 miles to a 1 minute charge, that technology already exists and we are way behind India, CHina, Israel and Norway for the same technology, so if it look slow that's because we live in the USA. I got back from Shanghai 2010 and it looks like the year 2100 there.

I own Google stock and I receive their newsletter, and their driver-less car is proven, safe and affordable. It will happen and people want it. Many states have already legalized them and major insurance companies are already offering driver-less car option coverage. Because it's safer than humans by an enormous degree with redundant backup systems. So you have a choice.
Spend your $50+ on a classic that will hold value or buy a Viper that will be in a landfill in a decade. That's just my 2 cents.

Now how about we chill, you know everything and I know everything. Other people don't want to read your arrogance and hostility or my passive aggressive antagonism with a dash of arrogance as well. Now that you established dominance, we can get along.

source: google's driverless car
http://youtu.be/t9Fxp3HK6DI
http://youtu.be/eXeUu_Y6WOw

Standford University has already invented a battery that holds 10 times the charge of lithium.
http://news.stanford.edu/news/2008/january9/nanowire-010908.html

10 minute quick charge technology
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost.aspx?post=616bc4f7-e5d5-4a2d-95f6-17703705ed40

all that technology will increase exponentially.

Last edited:

John B

Temp Selling Pass

After reading this clowns post, his intentions in the begining was to buy a car. He is not in the market to buy but just to rant/brag. Today I had a guy e-mail me stating he is a seriuos buyer for my car and the when he called me on the phone he told me he does not have the money at this time. What the F--k. The specialty car market has grown to a new low. Money talks and bullshit walks.. My question is... Why are people compelled to post bullshit post or respond to people that are selling a car with bullshit intentions.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

Edward that was thrilling; I'm absolutely dazzled by your credentials. I so admire people who know how to buy and sell, can attend car shows, (and this one really leaves me breathless) can buy Google stock! And you're a technology visionary as well! The rest of us just don't measure up. Nobody here knows anything about collector cars, battery technology, replicas, Cobras or muscle cars.

Last edited:

After reading this clowns post, his intentions in the beginning was to buy a car. He is not in the market to buy but just to rant/brag. Today I had a guy e-mail me stating he is a serious buyer for my car and the when he called me on the phone he told me he does not have the money at this time. What the F--k. The specialty car market has grown to a new low. Money talks and bullshit walks.. My question is... Why are people compelled to post bullshit post or respond to people that are selling a car with bullshit intentions.

A few of you seem very interested in me and my view points and where I'm coming from.
So I don't mind explaining things in more detail, if you really want to read it all.
Make sure you read all of my posts and see where is says numerous times, "just my opinion" which no one should take personally, because I'm admitting it's subjective.

First, you don't have to write that angry stuff, just wait and see if I buy a GT40 replica. If you don't see me posting my newly acquired car from one of the genius builders out there, then gloat all you want. I try to never underestimate people. I get surprised all the time. I'm actually a really nice guy. I am just the wrong person to attack verbally. I fought in the first Gulf War and when someone goes to war, you don't back down from someone who is being rude or hostile on a silly website.

I doubt anyone buys the first car they see. I know what you mean about people looking before they are prepared to buy. I am actually one of those people. I have a new house and we are remodeling the kitchen, thus the garage has my new cabinets in boxes take up the whole space. So if I bought a car TODAY it would be at my mechanics getting a tune up and look over or in storage.

I have plan to cash a $50,000 CD to pad my account, i can withdraw after Jan 01,2012 without penalty. I actually cashed it last week and then cancelled it because the deal fell through to buy a very nice NAERC Diablo replica. The kits are nice, but after thinking it over, I'm convinced a GT40 is more of a real supercar than most Diablo replicas are built. I also have many favorite cars, and at a certain point it's arbitrary which one I get, as long as it makes the hair on my neck stand up when I look at it and drive it. Besides all that I had a hernia surgery in Oct and I wasn't prepared to travel then. I have made a full recovery now.

I'd like to postpone a purchase until around Jan 1st+. I have just enough to make a purchase in my BOA savings now if the right deal comes along but I like to have some cash in case of sh!t going down, but it doesn't seem as anyone is in a hurry that was written me. If its a one time deal, I can spare the cash, but I like to be more responsible and have a cushion. So I'm sure in a month or two I will have made a purchase. I've been shopping around and meditating on it for almost 6 months now. Making sure this IS what I want. So you actually have a legitimate point.

I dont mind being honest. It's my personal financial information, but nothing sensitive. I'm not out to screw or deceive anyone. Gt40 replicas built well that are on the market are rare and finding one that suits my taste, budget and legal requirements (registration title) is something I'm prepared to wait more than a few days to find the car for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back