GT40 reunion

Just a headsup for the rest of you GT40 nuts out there.
There will be another GT40 and Shelby reunion.
I'm going to try and make it there.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

June 16-19
WATKINS GLEN HISTORIC RACES
Watkins Glen International
Watkins Glen, NY

Featuring GT40/Shelby/Cobra/GT350 - Ford Power and Historic Trans-Am - 2.5 liter and 5.0 liter 60's-70's-80's-90's and the Australian-American Healy Challenge.

For those thinking of going to this event, get a room now and cancel if you can't make it. There are few rooms close and it takes forever to drive 20 miles. See you there.

If it's like the GT40s reunion at Road America in 1994, it should be fun to watch. There were 40+ original GT40s at the event (one was in parts on the back of a trailer available for a mere $400,000). And one guy was walking around with the shell of a 2' long model he was building (anyone know if he finished it?).

We are staying in Elmira. It's about 20 miles from the track and will take about 45 minutes to get there. There are some B&B's and a few hotels in the Glen , but I would expect most of that to be taken. You might call the Chamber of Commerce. A bunch of years ago we stayed in an old farmhouse where the second floor was converted to 6 or 8 bedrooms and 1 or 2 bathrooms. I'll never forget it. A skunk exploded outside to room around 2 in the morning and it was about 800 degrees in the room, so you couldn't close the window. You can always camp at the track.

Can anyone say at this stage how serious this reunion is ? Are we talking a big formal gig like 89 ? I guess the other way of putting it is to ask if its on J6's schedule

I'm serously thinking of going. I've done some searching for hotels and there seem to be room available for $ 70.00 to $ 150.00 range.

If flying into Ithaca, what would the easiest/best area to stay? Would it be Watkins Glen, Horseheads, Ithaca, Hectoe,Elmira, or some other area?

Rex,

The event is being sponsored by the Historic Sportscar Association.

Was your invitation stuck in the mail again? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Your car should be there!!!

Bill

There's nothing on the Watkins Glen web site about the reunion.

The Histroic Sportscar Racing (HSR) has a minimal information about event on their website:
http://www.hsrrace.com/HSR/HSRHome.nsf/weblinks/EJEN-66HMUS?OpenDocument

All it says (at this point) is:

[ QUOTE ]
June 16-19

Watkins Glen Historic Races
Watkins Glen International Raceway
Watkins Glen, NY

Featuring GT40/Shelby/Cobra/GT350 - Ford Power and Historic Trans-Am - 2.5 liter, 60's-70's-80's-90's and the Australian-American Healey Challenge.

Note: The Watkins Glen Historic Races event is a stand alone event and will NOT be in conjunction with the Grand Am or any other sanctioning body. The Grand Am event date is June 11-12.

[/ QUOTE ]

The HSR races at the Glen are always great. I won't be able to make this one as I'll be in Europe running 0846 and 002C in the Historic Targa Floria. This, as far as I know won't be an official reunion but there will be a lot of great Historic racing.
Bill
Do you know if Tom Malloy will be there or if the Guys from
the Shelby Boulder Museum will be there? If this is anything like the Fall Vintage Festival at the Glen it will be worth attending.

Back