GT40 seats

Eddy McClements

Supporter
Looks like an original GT40, or maybe a perfect copy like the Gelscoe cars (or other faithful, exact copies). The seats aren't seats in the conventional sense - the bases are webbing straps which are stretched between welded-in mounting strips:-

The seat backs are glass-reinforced epoxy resin - GRP or fibreglass - which are separate, and retained to the firewall (by Dzus on the original cars, I think?).

@shaunybean on here has re-created them for his build. Pic above is another Gelscoe car, for no other reason than there are plenty of good pics on their website. @brianstewart re-created a pair for his CCD-chassis build; see on the Build Logs on this forum, and on Pistonheads:-

The upholstery is some form of fire-retardant nylon with minimal padding and the all-important eyelets.

What are you building?

Takis M.

Supporter
Hi Eddy and thanks for advising on this.
I am building a GT Racing GT40 here in the UK. I received he chassis and some parts just before Christmas and am waiting for the balance of parts to commence properly.
I need to rethink the whole seat issue because I intend to put the car through IVA/SVA approval at the end of it all.

Any ideas if anyone makes something similar that we can buy........?

As soon as I have received the balance of parts I will start building and post photos up..

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Our seats all feature the suspended webbed base which is much, much more comfortable than seating a bit of foam that squashes to nothing on a long journey.

Ask me how I know.

Thanks

Andy

Nick, yes, but that's customer preference. I usually fit the flat bottom of the seat directly onto a lowered floor 40mm below normal floor level ( no runners ) gives the perfect ride height for " normal " people,

Nick, yes, but that's customer preference. I usually fit the flat bottom of the seat directly onto a lowered floor 40mm below normal floor level ( no runners ) gives the perfect ride height for " normal " people,
Thanks Frank, I have SGT seats as you said very like yours, and sitting in a dropped floor pan, but no "bulb" which sounds good. Nice to know I am now certified normal. :)