GT40 Transport

Hi all

I just stumbled across these images on Flickr of some original GT40's been loaded into a TWA cargo plane which I thought were really interesting. I don't know which cars these so maybe someone can chip in some more info.

Also aside from the flying the cars to races what other forms of transport were used to move the original race cars around? I've seen pictures of a Cobra transporter and even a MK1 transit being used.

Any details and pictures welcome

7570599276_cd4e3ccd77_b.jpg

7570599740_6e21f2848e_b.jpg

tumblr_m2m6jowWYr1r0brpio1_1280.jpg

7570600306_c261e3c229_b.jpg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Wow... They flew in 1st Class!!!

I have seen thousands of GT40 pictures, but never those... Thanks for posting!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Yes those are vents. Somewhat different in shape than I remembered them to be though..

Hi,

The number plate appears to read GML 128B, so that vehicle was registered in 1964. ( The 'B' is the year )
The 'ML' part tells us it was issued in the Middlesex / London area.
It is not a personal or private plate.
It was bodied by Strachans of Hamble, England., as already shown by Mick.
The chassis could be Thames, AEC, or almost anything ? 1964 just pre dates the Ford D series / R Series chassis, unless it was a pre production chassis ? The fact that there is no makers badging on the front may point to it being a non Ford chassis ?

I wonder what became of them....

All the best, Steve.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Looking through one of my books, it seems the cars were Shelby prepared cars, photographed at LAX, being loaded for the 1965 Le Mans race. The white roadster is P/109, shown here as #9 raced as #15, the red Filipinetti car is P/1005 shown here as #15, raced as #6. Ironically at some point in the race, P/1005 lost its right side door and it was replaced with the roadster door off the already retired P/109 using lots of racing tape.

The white prototype with the dark nose, appears to be P/105 on its way to the Le Mans Test days.

The licence plates with "13" were Shelby dealer plates.

Last edited:
Back