gtd40

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
For most electric gauges, there is a sender. What gauge of yours needs a sender? Have you tried checking with the manufacturer of the gauge?

3696B216-AADC-4C27-8BEC-FC42E00F3022.jpeg

I don't know the manufacturer of the instrument.

you will have to get the gauge out of the dash and see if there is any marking on it, if you need to identify the gauge unit. same thing for the sender unit that goes inside the tank.

I am not sure what gauges you have, some design features look like smiths, but the font and graphics are all wrong. could be VDO based?

Malcolm

Supporter
Ignore the dash board and go to the engine bay, unscrew the four self tapping screws on the square plate about 4 inch by 4 inch on the large flat surface by the bulkhead, and lift away. This will show you the sender in the fuel tank. look for part numbers etc on that and get another. Whilst I cannot recall who made it, it is not that special and is probably available from kit car suppliers on line.

Malcolm

Supporter
A lot of GTD had Smiths gauges but they went bust before GTD did. The latter cars had to use another brand. And I don't know what that brand was.

Check the components you have first, it is most likely they are OK. FIRST remove the sender unit from the tank, and be sure to fully cover the hole in the tank were the sender came out to prevent anything, including sparks from the electrics, sending the car up in flames.
Disconnect the wires from the sender, and with the ignition on fully earth the lead to the gauge to the chassis, the gauge should then immediately go to a full tank reading. Turn off the electrics at the ignition switch.
If OK, next reconnect the wires to the sender, and with the ignition feed back on raise and lower the float level and check that the gauge reads a position equal to the float level, fully down should be empty, fully up should be full, halfway should be - got it ? Check that the float when in the tank is showing correct reading, bending the wire that holds the float to achieve the reading on the gauge,

Back