HANS in GT40

Out of interest, have any of you fitted HANS to your 40 yet ? It is now compulsory for all competition cars in the UK ( with exceptions for certain early historic cars ) to be fitted with HANS systems. This brings certain difficulties with the GT40, and I wonder how others ( if there are any yet ) have managed . Frank

It only applies to cars built after 1977.

I cannot use a HANS in the 917, T70 Mk3B or GT40, due to it severely impeding on my neck movement and tilting my head down with my Bell open faced helmet.

I have to use the Simpson harness which is so much easier, albeit more expensive.

I should have added that is down to the owner to prove age of vehicle at point of scrutineering with log book, HTP, FIA papers, etc, etc.

There is no doubt that head restraint devices are a life saver in the event of the "wrong" accident, and one should not put a price on safety, but they can be a real pain to deal with in many historic cars. They are not fitted to the cars as Frank implies, but are fitted to the driver and his helmet and held in position by the safety belts, which must be positioned correctly, and therein lies a problem. A HANS device must be fitted to suit the seat angle, unless you purchase an adjustable one, which still may not work for your particular set up.

The harness type that Simpson produce are a lot more belt than hard material and are useable at all angles, but still need the helmet restraint strapping to be adjusted for each application. For me, it was the only one that was comfortable and user friendly with my type of cars and helmet use, but very expensive. Over twice the price of a HANS item.

If any of you are going racing, or your particular event demands you have one, please, I implore you, do have a proper fitting session with the car and your helmet at an authorized dealer who can guide you. It may not just be the HANS you have to purchase, but possibly a new helmet if it does not have the restraint pick up points fitted !!!!!

Hope this helps.

Went down this road early 2015 and upgraded my helmet to a Snell helmet with tether posts and also purchased a Simpson Hybrid Sport.

Read Graham's posts above carefully. He is correct. The normal HANS type devices only fit properly (comfortably) at their intended seat angle, and the common (cheap) angle of 20 deg did not in any way work in my GT40 (DRB with DRB race seats - about 25 - 30 deg recline angle).

You need to get fitted! Don't buy one online and then realize there is no way you will wear it because it wont fit or is very uncomfortable.

I drove my 40 to the race supply shop and tried a normal 20 deg HANS. Didn't fit worth a damn.

Then I tried a Simpson hybrid sport (US$600, compared to a basic 20 deg HANS price of US$450). Hardly even know it's there! Simpson was the only other neck restraint system that had FIA approval at the time, which may still be the case. The Defender system was SFI approved only. Not much good unless in USA, at least to the blinkered views of our sport administrators...

Your results may vary...but as above: Don't buy without trying it on in your car(s).

Some people will be able to wear a HANS device in their 40, some will not. Type of seat and its angle, seat belt spacing and angle, type of helmet, full face or open, and the biggest factor, you the driver. We are all so different in out statures.

It is vital that you get fitted properly with the helmet you have, or a new one to suit the harness, and that you sit in the seat you are going to use.

No one wants an accident, but in the event of one, your helmet and support system need to work properly.

Back