Happy Birthday to the GT40

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
As I am sure you are all aware the 1st. April 1964 was the official launch of the Ford GT ( later to be called the GT40 ). I am not sure if there has been much planned but a 40th. birthday for a 40 , interesting.

Best wishes to all,

Robert

Hi Robert,

Maybe you would like to celebrate by offering a really cheap RF for the UK market, with just a few of your extra's like er, launch control, hugely powerful engine, straight cut box, aircon and of course full leather. Oh, and Gulf colours!

If you wouldn't mind keeping it under the £5k barrier (including vat)that would be great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers,

Rick

Robert - all great things were launched (born?) in April - 5/4/?? or for US 4/5/?? - its just some of us are not 40.

Hi Robert,

On two previous occasions I posted suggestions for the GT40's 40th anniversary at the Nurburgring over the week-end of May 29 and 30, 2004.

The dates would have been most appropriate as the GT40 was raced for the first time in the 1000 kms at the 'Ring on May 31, 1964. I was privileged to have been there on that auspicious occasion.

A German member reminded me that the F1 European Grand Prix was to be held over that week-end which blew those dates away. However, a free week-end close that date, either in May or June would still have been OK. I believe a big classic event is planned for July and that would also be OK.

I even went as far as to e-mail Ford Vice-President Sir Nicholas (Nick) Scheele with the proposal (January 5, 2004). IMHO it would have been a brilliant marketing exercise for Ford. I say would have been as no mention of such a re-union has ever been made unless Ford is springing a last minute surprise.

My idea was to invite as many of the previous GT40 and MK1V drivers as possible as well as many original cars as possible. It would also have presented Ford with an ideal opportunity of bringing along a few of the new GTs for a track day. It would have given many of the 'GT40 Old Boys' an opportunity to drive the new car over the original Nordschleife.

Just think what an amazing gathering it could have been with Dan Gurney, AJ Foyt, Chris Amon, Jacky Ickx, Jackie Oliver, Lucien Bianchi, Jackie Stewart, John Whitmore, David Hobbs and several others under the same roof after all these years. One of course accepts the fact that due to business commitments and time constraints not all could be present.

Think also of a magnificent group photo with the old drivers and Bill Ford and Ford top brass posing with an original GT40 and the new GT both in Gulf colours. This would have been a once in a life time opportunity never to be repeated. The photo could have been used in Ford advertising right round the world.

Suggested programme as follows:

Friday evening: A get to know you again, down memory lane cocktail party.

Saturday: Breakfast
Display of cars and track day
Lunch
Display of cars and track day
Gala dinner with caberet

Sunday Breakfast
Free day for old friends and new found friends to do their own thing.

Again IMHO if Ford doesn't act it'll be a unique and wonderful opportunity lost forever.

I also accept that the giant corporates have their own agendas and reasons for doing things but here's still hoping that they'll pull something out of the hat at the last minute even if it's a demonstration run before the European Grand Prix.

Yours hopefully,
Andre 40

Andre, these things have to be planned far in advance so that track time can be scheduled, car owners notified, and PR machines set in motion. Perhaps we should be thinking about the GT40's 50th birthday! Of course there are other 40-year anniversaries coming up, notably of the LeMans victories, in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Andre,

I would have loved to be at the Watkins Glen Reunion and I had the chance but lacked the funds and also did not understand the significence of the occasion. If a meeting like that was to happen today I would pack up a car and get there.

Audre, keep up the great work on the forum , I am a huge supporter of you and look forward to one day buying you a glass of wine , Australian of course.

Best wishes,

Robert

Back