Head light covers yes or no

Sorry Im getting old and can't remember who blended their head light covers out on the front section. I'm thinking of doing the same thing but would like another look at it. If some could point me into the right build log that would be great :)
Cheers,
Grant

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I prefer the look with the covers on. If you filled in the hole matched the curvature of the fender and just had small headlight holes like a Pagani, that probably look really good.

Allen, looks awesome. In my opinion with that color the covers would have taken away from the car.
I think you may have just made up my mind.
Thanks for sharing :)
I may have two sets of Light covers for sale shortly lol.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Put them on, otherwise you will have water, dust and all the other crap forced around the light and back into the rear of the headlight right where the socket and connector are. Not to mention heavier and harder debris like stones breaking the light lens itself.

This is a no brainer in my opinion.

Small bead of clear silicone around lens will stop all that.
Being only water it will ever see will be from a pail of wash water I don't see any of that being a issue except maybe the broken lens.
Maybe Bill can comment if he regretted not using them ?
or Allen's customer with the Green machine ?

From a strictly visual perspective, I prefer them better with covers. Looking at this pic Allan posted, the angle the driver's side one is at looks good, but the angle to the passenger's side creates a weird divot in the line of the fender. I think like PeteB said, if it was filled and blended more like a Pagani it could look fantastic.

Then again, I'm living vicariously through all of you, so I'll drool over whatever you do.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
"...but the angle to the passenger's side creates a weird divot in the line of the fender."

There's the big reason to install the covers right there IMHO.

However, aero and protecting the lights from rocks, et al, are two other reasons. (And, yes, I know "aero" isn't a real big deal with a 'roadster'. ;))

I have both so ill comment. On one hand i like the look with the covers on. But removing them kept garbage from getting stuck inside and fog building up. Also over time the covers may rub off some paint. I dont know if they can be installed with a silicone bead or rubber gasket but i prefer having them always clean and accessible. The lens cracking shouldnt be a consideration as the lenses are relatively inexpensive. Paint chipping under the lens kinda sucks. You could always opt for an enclosed light like some other builder did with altima lights. Open is my better choice.

i think it looks better with them on. +1 for protection too but you then have to decide if you seal them 100% or 0%. I had them 0% sealed and I t was cleaning under there a fair amount. I went 100% sealed but took me 3 tries to get it water tight. I had to completely seal both front under the plexi , and back, nooks and crannies by sockets. In the end i bagged the back of the sockets plus siliconed for 2 levels of protection from spraying water. (RCR had no wheel wells when i was building.)

I built my SLC for the street and to be a "Driver". I wanted to minimize the time spent cleaning and maintaining it.

I see lots of forum posts about clear headlight covers getting dirt, dust, bugs, moisture, etc inside and then they need to be pulled apart to be cleaned. This seems to happen whether its a SLC, GTM, Cobra Daytona, Corvette, etc.

For that reason, I went without the lenses and blended in the edges. The Pagani like "eye lid" bodywork around the headlights is nicely done and people tell me its one of the more distinctive elements of the front end.

Attachments

• SLC PYC-3.jpg
    SLC PYC-3.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 234
  • SLC PYC-6.jpg
    SLC PYC-6.jpg
    892.7 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
The OEM assy such as Fling included in his build is the only way to make closed cover (easy maintenance) work in the long run. Fran used a Mitsubishi (if I remember correctly) closed HL assy as the original model, but there must have been a problem including the full assy into the body. As it is now the inside housing of that light assy is what serves as the shape around the headlights we see in our cars today.

Last edited:
The OEM assy such as Fling included in his build is the only way to make closed cover (easy maintenance) work in the long run. Fran used a Mitsubishi (if I remember correctly) closed HL assy as the original model, but there must have been a problem including the full assy into the body. As it is now the inside housing of that light assy is what serves as the shape around the headlights we see in our cars today.

Hmmm, interesting!

If so, you should be able to easily cut out the molded light and fiberglass in a the original Mitsubishi headlight.

Fran, which Mitsubishi headlight did you use?

IF I remember that correctly :-O
Found this aftermarket Eclipse light that looks to be the surround shape, although the cover would not work as a drop in for the car today. Seems like the body could be modded to fit this light if wanted tho...

Attachments

• 101101D4JF.jpg
    101101D4JF.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Back