Header prices

I am curious as to what the going rate for a custom set of 4 into 1 ( not crossover,180deg) headers are. Since I do all of my own fabricating I never had to pay someone to do this for me, but have wondered what a "professional" fabrication shop charges. So let me know also if the headers were for a mid engined or front engine,equal length,etc...

Dave D.

Mike Pass

Supporter
For a GT40 stainless steel crossover manifold which is the only one I know about they varied from £2,000 to £3,500 in the UK. Priced from last two years.
Cheers
Mike

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I always wondered this too.

I know a VW air-cooled chap will make up custom headers, 4 into1 or turbo application for around £200

So that is for 4 cylinders so make that£400 for an 8 cylinder

Strange but you mention GT40 and the price multiplies.
Ian

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Not surprising. I build my own headers, and by the time I've gathered all the supplies (flanges, tubes, collectors, fitting sleeves, gas, etc), I'm already $600 in the hole, and that's for a simple 4-to-1, and no ceramic coating.

So... I've reached out to Hot-Jet electronically with their online order form, (within the last couple of months) here in the states, twice, and never got a response other than "thanks for your query, our staff will contact you shortly..." reply. If this is an indication of there service, I'd like to look elsewhere. Have any of you got a suggestion on who else provides a good quality ceramic coating service for my headers/mufflers/coolant plumbing lines?

I use Central Connecticut Coatings( used to be called Air Born coatings) and have had very good service and results from them. Years ago, I used to send to Jet Hot in Alabama, but service changed and the warranty changes from lifetime if new to only a few months.
As Blue stated, yea, it is still expensive even if we build our own!! I had easily $500-600 in my headers for my IMSA Fiero without any "fancy" merge collectors, forget about a budget for stainless!!
I just built a set of "mid shorties" for a friend's 5.0 Miata(10lbs of sh*& in a 5 lb bag!!) to replace an absolutely horrible attempt by the original owner that ended in a cracked,leaking mess of mig beads and exhaust sealant. I have easily 24 hrs of labor in them up to now and not totally done! I am afraid of making a bill for him,although I feel that I have to be fair to myself.

Dave

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Mine were made by Stainless HEaders in Minnesota, who did a fine job, for about two grand. They still have my old ones as a pattern if anyone needs a set.

I got a surprise a few years ago when I dropped by a custom exhaust shop here in the Sacramento area.
This shop does excellent work and makes what looks to be custom exhaust art. Their merge collectors are claimed to be exceptional.
I was told that a complete custom bundle of snakes for my car , SBF, would be around $12,000 and if I wanted them done in stainless it would cost about 50% more($18,000 for stainless).
They did imply that this price would include installation. Furthermore they told me that they have, in the past, built a system for some one with a GT40 from South Africa.
Too expensive for me.

Bob

A guy here in Tucson that does a bunch of turbo work did mine, they ended up costing $1,100.00 for exhaust tips, mufflers, cats, flanges, bends, tubing, billet hangers, clamps, ceramic coating, and labor. He does nice work at a very fair price. He also did a sump and a angled pass through on my tank.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    560.2 KB · Views: 544
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    547.2 KB · Views: 439
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    533.1 KB · Views: 421

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
I was quoted $7000.00 for a set of mild steel snakes here in the northwest U.S.A. I chose to do my own to assure I'd get what wanted rather than pay for someones artistic whimsy at that price.

Pete

Re east coast coating, I've used Prodigy Coatings in Cortland NY for a couple different pieces. Joe is a good guy, gets stuff done on time and produces good results. Highly recommended.

Automotive To Industrial And Anything In Between

I am surprised by the costs of headers. I seem to remember Kooks telling me they could do stainless headers for $2K, but that was a few years ago.

Mine were made by Stainless HEaders in Minnesota, who did a fine job, for about two grand. They still have my old ones as a pattern if anyone needs a set.
Hi Jim, I would be interested in your old headers if they are still availble. I could use them to check clearances on my scratch build.

Thanks, Dan

Not surprising. I build my own headers, and by the time I've gathered all the supplies (flanges, tubes, collectors, fitting sleeves, gas, etc), I'm already $600 in the hole, and that's for a simple 4-to-1, and no ceramic coating.

So... I've reached out to Hot-Jet electronically with their online order form, (within the last couple of months) here in the states, twice, and never got a response other than "thanks for your query, our staff will contact you shortly..." reply. If this is an indication of there service, I'd like to look elsewhere. Have any of you got a suggestion on who else provides a good quality ceramic coating service for my headers/mufflers/coolant plumbing lines?
Hi Terry, Ive used Calico Coatings, great people and great results, had racing Ferrari and race bike stuff done, very pleased, Neville Nesbitt, P.S. they also do the bearing coating on shells.

I checked with two local exhaust builders and both said between $3,000 and $3500. Perhaps getting pre-bent pieces and doing your own would be cheaper... just tune up your TIG skills.

Back