Hello from Singapore

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Dropping in for some business travel but have a bit of downtime.
Anyone have recommendations for good restaurants for a business dinner
Local sights?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Neal.
Fatties on Bugis Street - long time favourite with the troops and then with BA flight deck. The food court - two blocks behind Raffles. The Long Bar in Raffles. Orchard Road for a bit of gadget shopping. Bit of night life and clubs by the Marina. It's incredibly clean with a fantastic tube system - the MRT( Mass Rapid Transit).
ps: Bangkok in no way compares.

Pete McCluskey goes to the Gp in Singapore and he'll fill you in on a few more of the latest places to go.

Hey, hey. I was going to ask the same question. My wife and I are going for a boat ride on one of the Queens (Queen Vic.) in March, and we're starting off in Singapore. We'll be staying in the Marina area prior to embarkation. Appreciate any words re. 'not to be missed' sights, best food courts (?), chili crab (?), etc.
Pete? Any good inputs...that you'll admit to, at least :eek:)
We end up in Dubai. Any info there would also be muchly appreciated.
Mahalo

I spent a year and a half in singapore in 1994/1995. Back then the best local style seafood was at a resturant adjacent to the Stadium parking lot.

Singapore is all about food and everyone has a reccomendation. Avoid the Tourist Traps and ask your Taxi driver to reccomend a place for good food.

Cheers

Fred W B

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Andy,
Yes - thats the Esplanade bridge on the left and the Arts centre straight ahead. The spouting Merlion statue would be just out of camera on the left.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Fun city! Very pretty at night. No real language barrier and people are friendly. Agree with the Bangkok comment, much cleaner and easier to traverse. I'm at the Swissotel Merchant Court right across from the river walk. Indulged in a load of pepper crab from Indonesia and various delights of the sea followed by a few cool Tiger beers served by a pretty Thai-girl last night! Funny thing is that they seem to disappear when it's time to get the check.

37C and 93% humidity doesn't agree after coming from rain and 4C. I'm melting... Interesting mix of people. Orchard was a kick.

I've seen a Murcielago, Bentley Continental and Brabus SL600. Quite eclectic given the density of diesel Hyundais and Toyotas. Very aggressive drivers with little regard for pedestrians. Watch yourself if you are on the surface streets! One of my work colleagues was absolutely fascinated with some GT40 pics I share with him. Keep an eye out for Dexter as he might pop up here. He was telling me they have an escalating tax based on vehicle age which promotes buying a new car every few years as apposed to keeping it.

Feeling a little keggy :freak: as I've not caught up with the time zone. Two more evenings to explore before it's back to gloom and doom Seattle. Thanks for the ideas!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Neal - have you tried the restaurant in the Hidden Harbor in Seattle. Good bordering on brilliant sea food there as well. Called Franco's I recall.
ps - that cool Tiger beer is so inviting.

Last edited:

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Franco's Hidden Harbor is a classic in Seattle. We do have the benefit of some of the best seafood in the world. Fresh Dungeness crab is to die for. I've thrown many a crab pot over the stern in the San Juan islands... Cat food seems to be the best bait!
Next time you are out my way we'll need to check out Etta's in Pike Market. One of Tom Douglass' spots. Good eatin'! So many restaurants, so little time.

I did laugh when I saw geoduck on the menu last nigh. It's a local "staple." :stunned:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
If you Like steak and seafood, this place named after David had twenty or so Singapore slings and did an erotic strip on the table and then dived into the fountain, is pretty Good.

.Mortons - Best Singapore Restaurants.
Seriously if you are a bad restaurant in Singapore you wont survive.

Here is a link you will find helpful. Best Singapore Restaurants

The long bar at raffles is a must do, Michelangelo's top Italian, the New York Deli in the Raffles complex for lunch, the Yan Ting in Tanglin road and The Coriander leaf are all good. And as someone already said cab drivers are a great source of info..Wink Wink.
A great experience is breakfast with the Orangutans at the zoo. Have fun
Singapore is a top city, just make sure you throw your gum away before leaving home.

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
We used to go to the Market for absolutely brilliant breakfasts. Great place. I ended up at hot tub party (Captains retirement) with a Continental crew as a result of going to the market for breakfast. A very scociable day was had by all.

Back