Hello from Sydney, Australia

Great to be part of this community.

I'm looking to buy a GT40 - my first after having spent some time restoring and running other '60s sports and race cars.
Weighing up the options between locating an existing car or ordering one to spec from one of several manufacturers.
Have ruled out doing the assembly myself on grounds of available time and space - seems more efficient to have someone do it who has done it many times before.

Hoping I can share details of available cars and info from builders, and benefit from the experience of the group in telling me what to look out for, avoid, check...

My current thinking is as follows:

- Superformance is the way to go if you value originality. Significant price premium, long lead time, but also a safe investment.
- Tornado and RCR are very good replicas. Will give a comparable experience if you're not fussed about every detail being period-correct.
- Roaring 40s (most cars in Australia seem to be of this make) is similar to Tornado and RCR, but possibly more low-tech. And a further departure being a pure spaceframe.
- DRB, KCC, Absolute Pace... tend to be lower-cost and can be of variable quality, very dependent on the individual build.
- CAV is a bit like Singer is to 911s. Taking the essence of the car but modernising it and polishing it in key areas.
- Bailey is really a modernised track/race car, not suitable for the street.

Lots of variables in all the above. Cost, lead time, reliability of the vendor, as well as being clear about what you want in a car.

My preference is for something true to the original spirit. Analogue, no mod cons, raw, visceral, all the usual clichés.
Leaning towards the Mk1 look (I'm particularly fond of the Essex Wire cars) but not ruling out a Mk2.
Hoping to use it for a mix of street and track driving.

Anyway, interesting journey and lots to learn. Looking forward to hearing from you one and all.

74987-66moz05z Gregory-Whitmore Ford GT40.jpg

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40S Dario. Read through the various build threads. There you can see the ins and outs of most of the manufacturers out there. Hopefully other Aussies will chime in.
Regards Brian

Thanks Brian, will do.
If I am looking at a specific car, is it OK to share pics (not owner's details or anything else personal/confidential) so others may recognise the car and comment on its known history etc.?

Thanks again. I'm a bit hesitant re protocol for sharing info on existing cars etc. and seeking opinions on them.
But if it's acceptable to do so, then here goes...

Here's one local option, offered to me through Roaring 40s.
Is the car known to members here?

I would undo some of the cosmetic and interior choices (stylised periscopes, modern mirrors, gear knob, stereo...) but I'm interested in whether the fundamentals are good. As in it was built with good attention to detail, used consistently etc.

Any insight appreciated.

Attachments

• Copy (2) .jpg
    Copy (2) .jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0627.jpg
    IMG_0627.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0628.jpg
    IMG_0628.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0630.jpg
    IMG_0630.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0631.jpg
    IMG_0631.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0632.jpg
    IMG_0632.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0634.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 199

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Dario

Roaring 40s was a company that went bust a long time ago 2005 ish from memory, (owned by Logan who had many $thousands in deposits) and the remnants bought by another company who were also called Roaring 40s so make sure you are dealing with the legit company. There have been some reports that Robert Logan is back in the car game.

The original Roaring 40s car was a copy of a Tornado.

The second Roaring 40s company was reported to be a stand up company.

No doubt someone will chime in and know about the actual car.

Welcome to the world of GT40s

Ian

Thanks Ian. I've been dealing with Robert who says he has bought Roaring 40s back and is in production again.
Saying he intends to re-establish the quality and cost-effectiveness of his original vision for the business.
In this case he proposed to source the car, modify it to my spec and sell it to me.

Thanks Nick for the tip. Amazing how some builders don't come up on the usual Google searches etc.
I've sent AK an email.
Do they have a track record of builds and the resources to stay in business while gaining traction?

Thanks also for the kind words about colour choice. Yes, I find the Essex Wires colours suit the shape, period, and are a bit more unusual than the Gulf, black, yellow that all look fantastic but have been done many times...

Thanks for all this. I had heard about the various incarnations of Roaring 40s.
Trying to decide on the merits based on speaking with Robert and his current situation (no issue with giving people 2nd chances if they mean to make amends). But I've noticed some red flags in the promises he is making.
For one, the asking price Robert has proposed is well above what the last few R40s complete cars have gone for...

On balance so far it seems to me that the premium for a car built to spec is not a lot, considering it gets you a new car exactly to your taste.
But it also means trusting the builder to deliver (and be around long enough to offer support).

I've found Tornado and CAV to be very responsive to my questions.
And I've heard only positive things said about both these builders.

Does anyone have or know of any bad experiences had with CAV or Tornado?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Smart move to steer well clear of anything that Robert Logan is involved in. He has bilked far too many people of their hard earned cash with nothing to show for it.
RCR and Tornado would be my first stops for purchase. I believe both companies can/will supply turn-key cars.

As per my intro post, I see the choice as going for originality vs. doing something more personalised.
For the former my choice would be ranked Superformance, Tornado, RCR.
Re the latter I do like the CAV approach.
Is the consensus that CAV are also reliable in people's experience?

I have purchased fuel tanks from CAV and had them sent to California. I have found them very responsive and no problems at all to deal with. They are happy to answer questions as much as they can. The tanks came quickly with no issues.

Thanks for the feedback. CAV has communicated very well with me so far, through the Australian dealer but with a direct line to the CEO.

Is there anyone in Australia (ideally near Syd) who has a CAV and would let me take a look at it?

Thanks Nick for the tip. Amazing how some builders don't come up on the usual Google searches etc.
I've sent AK an email.
Do they have a track record of builds and the resources to stay in business while gaining traction?

Thanks also for the kind words about colour choice. Yes, I find the Essex Wires colours suit the shape, period, and are a bit more unusual than the Gulf, black, yellow that all look fantastic but have been done many times...
Hi Dario.

Southern GT had a very good reputation AK bought Southern GT recently as the owner decided to retire., From what I understand they have a very good reputation for their Cobras the GT40 is a new venture for them.

Nick

Hi again all!

Armed with advice from this community, I'm pleased to say I have secured a car.

Will be a few months before I get it as am having it resprayed, and has to be transported over.
But I'm happy it is well built and a strong basis for a dream build.

First question:

It has 16" knock-on Halibrand 'wineglass' wheels.
Currently wearing modern tyres:
205/55R16 front and
255/50(Z)R16 rear.

I'm looking for a more period look - taller/smooth sidewalls.
Thinking approx:
205/75R16 front and
255/70R16 rear.

But only tyres I could find in that size are for trucks etc.

Any tips on where to source Hoosier/Avon style tyres in the desired sizes?

If this doesn't work I might have to change to 15" wheels (which would require smaller front brakes).

Any help appreciated!

Hi Dario, I'm in Melbourne and have the same issue with 16' rims,...solving it by getting some wine glass Halibrands in 15' from Image Wheels UK.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221202-201812_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20221202-201812_Outlook.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot_20221202-201826_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221202-201826_Gallery.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 104
Thanks Craig. I didn't end up going through with the R40s option.
Instead brought in a UK car.
It currently sits on 17" BRM lookalikes. Lots of rubber options for this size.
Am looking to revert to 15" BRMs, but need to carefully consider clearances and offsets for brakes.

Back