Hello from wv another locust guy

I built a locost 7 from scratch using a Kawasaki 1100 engine built mainly for autocross. I enjoyed the experience so much that I have a gt 40 build in my future. I have a friend within 30 miles that built one but I never really thought I would. But I want to build a car that is are to see with lots of horsepower, so now I am really considering it. I have 6 Porsches, so next year is a selling year and then we start the build.

My question is "How do I find out more how to do it?". With the low cost, there were several books available to get me started. What's out there for a GT40?

What part of WV Bill?

I knew a Bill Smith in college BTW. Went to WVU

As for how to do it...LOTS of options. It depends on how you are with certain things of course. Can you weld for example. If so, you might want to get plans and build your own chassis.

Re: Hello from wv another locost guy

Keyser, wv. - eastern panhandle.

I graduated from WVU 1980 Mech Eng.

I can pretty much do it all - machine work, welding, cutting, paint, motor and trans work - about the only thing I struggle with is interior work.

There is nothing locost on a Forty build that is related to the original 40. When you add it all up Locost 7 can be built for pennies compared to a 40. Looking forward to seeing your build progress.

Re: Hello from wv another locost guy

Keyser, wv. - eastern panhandle.

I graduated from WVU 1980 Mech Eng.

I can pretty much do it all - machine work, welding, cutting, paint, motor and trans work - about the only thing I struggle with is interior work.

Small world Bill. I am from Fort Ashby. Get home every year to go to a WVU game and see mom.

Do you have an idea how much of the project you are wanting to do yourself? There are several places that offer diagrams to build your own chassis, then you can get their fiberglass to cover it (wouldn't suggest doing that yourself unless you really wanted to spend a lot of time).

Wow talk about getting off on the wrong foot. I perfectly understand a GT40 is not going to be a cheap endeavor. I was merely saying that building the locust gave me an appreciation of the undertaking.

Now could you guys tell me where to find info - where do I find the stuff to help me understand? It's going to take me about a year to sell the collection before I can start.

RacerDave - What type of racing are you into? And are you doing it in a GT 40?

Darrinps - if you get back home, let me know. I run the national road rally autocross at the Cumberland Airport. They started it to commemorate the SCCA races held there in the 60's - 70's.

Thanks for the help

Bill:
Welcome to the forum.
Now that you have decided to join the insanity, rest assured that you can be almost 100% sure of finding any answers and good advice from the members here.
There is a wide range of knowledge and expertise available just for the asking.
Good luck and post those photos as you progress.
Cheers
Phil

Hi Bill:

Sorry I did not intend to make you feel like you were getting off on the wrong foot. I started to build a Locost7 but switched to building a 40. With your back ground you should be able to build an awesome 40.

Bill:

There is no book like with the Locost 7. Many people have asked . You may look in build logs I think one guy bought plans. Do you want to build a mono or a tube chassis? How tall are you?

Last edited:
No problem, still can't figure out where to find drawings for a scratch built. any directions would be appreciated.

PM me Bill. I MIGHT have some thoughts for you on this. At least I think I can steer you in the right direction as at one time I looked into doing that.

Back