Help converting VOB files to mpeg

I've taped the Stacy David's GearZ episodes in which they are building the SL-C. My problem is that the DVR is recording in VOB format.

Can anyone suggest a safe and free video convertor source?

Cheers

I use a program called "handbrake" on the Mac, it's free, simple, fast and safe. They also have a version for PC and Linux, although I haven't tried it on those platforms. Check it out on http://handbrake.fr

...And post the video when ur done!

What platform, and what do you want it converted to
Dah, probably would help if I included that info wouldn't it?

Windows, mp4 or wmv (whichever is more usable for most people).

Thanks Dave....I keep thinking more and more that it's time to get a Mac.

Thanks for the reply. I changed the files to mpg. I tried combining the two videos into a single, but windows live movie maker won't recognize the second video. It does recognize the first video. Any ideas?

Thanks for the reply. I changed the files to mpg. I tried combining the two videos into a single, but windows live movie maker won't recognize the second video. It does recognize the first video. Any ideas?

Just renaming the extension is not 100% guaranteed to work. VOB files can have other formats embedded in them (for subtitles, other audio encoding for example) that are not part of the mp4 standard. Even the video Bob linked to states that this method may or may not work.

Handbrake is very good, as is VLC. Both exist for Windows, Mac and Linux, and both are free.

Ian

Thanks, I'm off to check out Handbrake. I can't believe that this is becoming such a hassle! You'd think it would be a super simple process.

Back