Hi everyone, new SGT #66 here

Hi everyone

Picked up my SGT chassis #66 this week, got a few other bit coming but really looking forward to getting stuck in, very nervous about it but looking forward to it.
I'm based in Waltham Chase, UK and met Morten today down at the factory.

So first question, can anyone recommend a few build diaries, I was told a few and can't remember the exact name to follow them.

Thanks

J

Hi everyone

Picked up my SGT chassis #66 this week, got a few other bit coming but really looking forward to getting stuck in, very nervous about it but looking forward to it.
I'm based in Waltham Chase, UK and met Morten today down at the factory.

So first question, can anyone recommend a few build diaries, I was told a few and can't remember the exact name to follow them.

Thanks

J
Following this keenly. I've got chassis 72 on order mate! Cannot wait

Mike Pass

Supporter
Look through the build logs for SGT. Plenty on there.
Here is Martin's build log from one of the first SGTs
Cheers
Mike

Following this keenly. I've got chassis 72 on order mate! Cannot wait
Hey James, I must have just got in there before you, my chassis was one on pre-order but it didn't happen so I snapped it up last week!
It's tucked up away nicely in the garage with most of the panels, just waiting on some materials and break in work before I get started :)

Hey James, I must have just got in there before you, my chassis was one on pre-order but it didn't happen so I snapped it up last week!
It's tucked up away nicely in the garage with most of the panels, just waiting on some materials and break in work before I get started :)
I believe this chassis was offered to me last week but I was mulling over my options. Don't have space for a chassis yet as I've got a BMW e30 in its place at the moment. Lovely stuff got any pics? I'm intending to cut and shape all the pannels myself. Can't wait to make a start!

Have you created a build log? we like pictures...... lots of pictures...... enjoy the journey!
I haven't yet, but I am planning too. I wanted to get started before I posted so I'd have to write about :) ... Drill bits, Rivets and sikaflex is on order ready for the first panel ... then I'll start my build blog ... thank you

I believe this chassis was offered to me last week but I was mulling over my options. Don't have space for a chassis yet as I've got a BMW e30 in its place at the moment. Lovely stuff got any pics? I'm intending to cut and shape all the pannels myself. Can't wait to make a start!
Ah yes quite possibly, I was in the same position the week previous, I umm and arrr'ed and by the time I went back the 1st chassis I was offered was gone, so I snapped the other one up :) I saw one being built today and there's another one on order straight after, Micks very busy in there at the mo!
Oh a nice classic BMW very nice :) but the GT40 will look better in its place ;)
I wouldn't know where to being to cut and shape the panels, I've built an AC Cobra before but this is very different.

Attached a quick a pic of Chassis #66 sat in my garage waiting for me :)

Attachments

• IMG_3400.JPG
    IMG_3400.JPG
    701.8 KB · Views: 141
Ah yes quite possibly, I was in the same position the week previous, I umm and arrr'ed and by the time I went back the 1st chassis I was offered was gone, so I snapped the other one up :) I saw one being built today and there's another one on order straight after, Micks very busy in there at the mo!
Oh a nice classic BMW very nice :) but the GT40 will look better in its place ;)
I wouldn't know where to being to cut and shape the panels, I've built an AC Cobra before but this is very different.

Attached a quick a pic of Chassis #66 sat in my garage waiting for me :)
Yeah mick is rushed off his feet. Seems there is a massive influx of people wanting chassis before he retires. How long are you wanting it to take? The only 40 I've seen is micks. I've joined the enthusiasts club and hope to meet up with people and have a chat with them. I'm a big bmw fan boy it's actually quite sad hahaha I'm umming and arrring between making my own pannels and buying them precut. I'm quite confident to do it it's just time... But then gives me time to get a bit more cash behind me. Sadly the e30 I've just done was an open checkbook car. This one wont be great to know we're starting the same time tho mate!

Yeah mick is rushed off his feet. Seems there is a massive influx of people wanting chassis before he retires. How long are you wanting it to take? The only 40 I've seen is micks. I've joined the enthusiasts club and hope to meet up with people and have a chat with them. I'm a big bmw fan boy it's actually quite sad hahaha I'm umming and arrring between making my own pannels and buying them precut. I'm quite confident to do it it's just time... But then gives me time to get a bit more cash behind me. Sadly the e30 I've just done was an open checkbook car. This one wont be great to know we're starting the same time tho mate!
Yes, the shop seemed pretty manic. It's great at the moment for me as I'm literally down the road from him, gutted he was selling up but understand why after all these years and AK have a gd rep so I'm sure its in good hands. Seeing his car sold it for me. I'd seen a few others at Thruxton but didn't have a great look around etc. I don't really have a time frame at the moment it's going to be more based on what I can save and when etc. I'm hoping no more than 5 years but who knows with work etc
But nothing wrong with being a fan boy of any car, that's what brings us all here :)

Yes, the shop seemed pretty manic. It's great at the moment for me as I'm literally down the road from him, gutted he was selling up but understand why after all these years and AK have a gd rep so I'm sure its in good hands. Seeing his car sold it for me. I'd seen a few others at Thruxton but didn't have a great look around etc. I don't really have a time frame at the moment it's going to be more based on what I can save and when etc. I'm hoping no more than 5 years but who knows with work etc
But nothing wrong with being a fan boy of any car, that's what brings us all here :)
I've not been down to the workshop yet but popped round the house to see his motor! And like you it sold itself. as all production will be moving up to Peterborough its ideal for me as up the road. As the 7 hour round trip to Southampton was not ideal... Especially trying to conserve diesel given the current agro. I'm exactly in the same boat. Want it done within 5 years. But all depends where I'm working.... Joys of the army I suppose. Absolutely. The community here seems really great too! Everyone's genuinely out to help each other. Seems very different to what I'm used to I love it! Can't wait to start putting faces to names

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40S Jason. You have done a fine job of communicating about the SGT. It seems to have a good following. There is a lot of information on this site and people are more than willing to offer possible solutions to most any problem that pops up.

Regards
Brian

I've not been down to the workshop yet but popped round the house to see his motor! And like you it sold itself. as all production will be moving up to Peterborough its ideal for me as up the road. As the 7 hour round trip to Southampton was not ideal... Especially trying to conserve diesel given the current agro. I'm exactly in the same boat. Want it done within 5 years. But all depends where I'm working.... Joys of the army I suppose. Absolutely. The community here seems really great too! Everyone's genuinely out to help each other. Seems very different to what I'm used to I love it! Can't wait to start putting faces to names
Thats cool, we'll be able to compare progress and build logs as we go. I'm agree, I'm really impressed and love how people are so helpful on here its a great community. I spent a few hours today just reading through posts about getting starting and what to do, how and things to look for. It's great, it'll be even better once we can turn up to an event in our own 40's

Thats cool, we'll be able to compare progress and build logs as we go. I'm agree, I'm really impressed and love how people are so helpful on here its a great community. I spent a few hours today just reading through posts about getting starting and what to do, how and things to look for. It's great, it'll be even better once we can turn up to an event in our own 40's
Absolutely there is some cracking advice on here. If you need a hand when paneling ping me a message mate, get yourself a dyna file and some skin pins mate will make your life easy. Sounds like a race to me then hahaha only joking. Probably won't be able to make much of a start on mine till the back of November as out working in Norway for a bit.

Absolutely there is some cracking advice on here. If you need a hand when paneling ping me a message mate, get yourself a dyna file and some skin pins mate will make your life easy. Sounds like a race to me then hahaha only joking. Probably won't be able to make much of a start on mine till the back of November as out working in Norway for a bit.
Ah thanks mate, thats very kind and will do. Good shout out on the dyna file, I hadn't thought of that. I have a mini shopping list of things to get before I start, for starters I don't have any rivets! and only a hand held riveter! lots to sort first.
Ah yes I guess as well being in the army then you could get deployed anywhere for several months or away on training somewhere. Although Norway is nice

Ah thanks mate, thats very kind and will do. Good shout out on the dyna file, I hadn't thought of that. I have a mini shopping list of things to get before I start, for starters I don't have any rivets! and only a hand held riveter! lots to sort first.
Ah yes I guess as well being in the army then you could get deployed anywhere for several months or away on training somewhere. Although Norway is nice
Also an air powered grinder is great for nice precise cuts. On regards to rivets don't cheap out get yourself some decent ones. I'm going to get aircraft grade ones most definitely overkill but that's just because it's what I know. Pneumatic riverters are cheap as chips mate. I assume you've got a compressor? Exactly mate. Well I can't imagine the part of Norway I'm seeing is particularly nice, I'm off on a cold weather survival course living in igloos and being thrown in lakes. It'll be an experience. I'm not built for the cold

Also an air powered grinder is great for nice precise cuts. On regards to rivets don't cheap out get yourself some decent ones. I'm going to get aircraft grade ones most definitely overkill but that's just because it's what I know. Pneumatic riverters are cheap as chips mate. I assume you've got a compressor? Exactly mate. Well I can't imagine the part of Norway I'm seeing is particularly nice, I'm off on a cold weather survival course living in igloos and being thrown in lakes. It'll be an experience. I'm not built for the cold
I'll make note of that. I'd seen a post about cheap rivets so will look to get decent ones. I don't have a compressor yet, but its on the list, hopefully looking at one on the weekend, in-between work!
Ah see I don't mind the cold, prefer being warm, its true but I used to love hiking and doing a bit of mountaineering out in french alps, climbed a few of the mountains out there. But we now have 7 huskies who LOVE the cold and snow, they'd be in their element out there! It sounds cool to me but don't think I could do that now, like my creature comforts now :)

I'll make note of that. I'd seen a post about cheap rivets so will look to get decent ones. I don't have a compressor yet, but its on the list, hopefully looking at one on the weekend, in-between work!
Ah see I don't mind the cold, prefer being warm, its true but I used to love hiking and doing a bit of mountaineering out in french alps, climbed a few of the mountains out there. But we now have 7 huskies who LOVE the cold and snow, they'd be in their element out there! It sounds cool to me but don't think I could do that now, like my creature comforts now :)
Don't get a naff compressor either mate if you can get one with about 14cfm you can drive pretty much anything of that. Size ain't a big issue depends how much you use it. (not sure if your missus will agree ) 100l should be a nice size. I've got a 200l one but I paint bits and pieces with it. The piddly little 24l ones aren't worth looking at if I'm honest. I fell for that trap. Can't say I've ever been out in anything less than about -5. I'm more of a shorts and t-shirt all year round if I can sort of person. I've got to get a grip of myself as I'm building this car in a tent/instant garage as I've filled the garage full of tools and car parts. So probably going to have to get a kerosene heater.

Neil

Supporter
Jason, I've posted so much about rivets that everyone is probably sick of hearing about them. :)

Do a search on this forum and lots of info will turn up.

Back